New users who installed Sea of Thieves or users who updating the game can sometimes encounter the Sea of Thieves Missing or Corrupt DLL file error. The error message reads “Missing or corrupt DLL that is required for the game to run. This may be caused by a corrupt installation.” When you click on ‘Ok’, the game closes. This can be an irritating problem after you have bought the game with no time on the game or even after an update.
The cause of the error is what’s stated in the message – the game didn’t install property and one or more DLL files are either missing or have been corrupted during the installation process. A sure shot fix for the error is to reinstall the game. it works in resolving the error most of the time, but users may not want to spend time downloading and reinstalling the game again, especially those with slow internet connection. Hence, you can try some other fixes that can potentially resolve the missing or corrupt DLL files error. If noting works, you should reinstall the game.
Fix Sea of Thieves Missing or Corrupt DLL File
Fix 1: Run SFC Command
If you are encountering a problem with DLL files, running the SFC command in Commands Prompt is an effective solution. The command scans and repair any errors with the operating system and hence address the problem with the app. To perform this fix, you have to start the Admin mode of Command Prompt. Here are the steps.
- Press Windows Key + I and type cmd
- Press Shift + Ctrl + Enter simultaneously, select Yes when prompted
- Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter
- Wait for the process to complete and your system will restart. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Once the process is complete, launch the game and check if the missing or corrupt DLL files error still appears.
Fix 2: Set Exclusion on Windows Virus & Threat Protection
Whether you are using a third-party antivirus software or the Windows Virus & Threat Protection, it may be a cause of the problem. When the system detects some files or an app to be behaving abnormally, it blocks its function. This could be happening with Sea of Thieves. Hence, you should set an exclusion of the antivirus software for the game folders. You can also disable the antivirus software and run the game to check if the problem lies there. If the problem is with the security software, the long-term solution is setting an exclusion. Here is the process.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security, select Virus & Threat Protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Locate Exclusions by scrolling down, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder
- Browse the Sea of Thieves folderand set the exclusion.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
Fix 3: Reset Sea of Thieves
Resetting the game fixes a lot of errors. It basically reinstalls the game and reverts to the default settings. Your files are not affected. Here are the steps to reset Sea of Thieves.
- Press Windows + I and select Apps
- Click on Sea of Thieves and select Advanced options
- Scroll-down and locate Reset, click on Reset under it.
Once the process completes, check if the Sea of Thieves Missing or Corrupt DLL File error still occurs.
Fix 4: Update the System and Graphics Card Drivers
It’s a gamer’s modus operandi to keep the OS and the graphics card drivers updated to have the best experience in games and to avoid errors. As most games and new patches are built for the latest version of the Windows and drivers, updating them can fix the problem. Windows recently released the 2004 update, if you have not installed it, do it now. Nvidia and AMD both constantly release new updates for their driver software, the new updates address the bugs in the previous patch, so you should update those as well.
Fix 5: Reinstall the Game
Finally, if nothing else has worked we recommend reinstalling the game from scratch. Uninstall the game from Windows Apps & features and reinstall it again after a reboot of the system.
That’s all we have in this guide, we hope your Sea of Thieves missing or corrupt DLL File error is resolved.