Genshin Impact is a RPG, open-world, free-to-play online game developed by the Chinese developer miHoYo. The game is taking over the world due to its support for a wide range of devices and the fact that it’s free. But, being an online only game, errors are common that range from client system related errors to critical server bugs. The Genshin Impact error code 4206 is what seems to be causing a lot of trouble for players lately.
Although the “Failed to connect to the server Error code: 4206” was present since the release of the game, over the last 24 hours, they have become persistent and widespread. There is no specific region that can be tied to this error. Players around the world are experiencing the problem. Stick around and we will tell you all about the error and how to resolve it.
What is Genshin Impact “Failed to connect to the server Error code: 4206”
On the official website of miHoYo, there is a description for a wide range of problems with the game, but it does not include the Genshin Impact error code 4206. From what we gather, it seems that the error is tied to the IP addresses of players who are seeing the error. For some reason, the game is detecting your IP address as manipulative or some other problem that we do not know about.
Your IP address may be red-flagged for a bunch of reasons including when you are using a VPN. Several games and websites block IP addresses that originate from VPNs. Even when VPN companies claim their IP is un-identifiable, that’s not true and servers can easily identify such IP addresses.
The error also seems to arise when you are using a public Wi-Fi, so to fix the Genshin Impact error code 4206, you should disable VPN service and use a private Wi-Fi. You can also try to troubleshoot your network connection if the error persists. At the bottom section of the post, we have listed a range of things you should ensure when playing online games. Keep reading for all solutions to the problem.
Fix Genshin Impact Error Code 4206
As we have identified the cause of the error, resolving it is quite straightforward. If you are facing the 4206 error, here are the solutions you can try.
Disable the VPN
Even with all its uses, a VPN connection can be problematic at times when connecting to specific servers or websites. That’s seems to be the case with this error. Therefore, disable the VPN and launch the game, your error should be resolved.
Don’t Use Public Wi-Fi
If you are using a public Wi-Fi, that could also be a reason you are seeing the error. As such try playing the game with your home Wi-Fi. We suspect that when multiple players use the same IP to connect to the game, the error can arise.
Change Your Internet Connection
If the above two solutions did not resolve the error for you, try changing the internet connection. Sometimes due to a problem with your ISP or your own IP, there can be a problem connection to Genshin Impact. If you do not have access to a second ISP, try using your mobile hotspot to log into the game.
Reset the Router or Modem
Sometime a simple reset of the network device can resolve errors connecting to servers. In order to reset the device, simply dislodge the power cable from the router and press and hold the power button. After 10 seconds, reconnect the power cable and start normally. This will reset the router.
Try Restating the Device
Besides resetting the network device, you can also try to restart the PC, console, or mobile device to fix the issue. So, go ahead and restart.
Besides the above solutions, here is a list of other things you can do.
Other Solution to Fix Genshin Impact “Failed to connect to the server” Error
Here are some network troubleshooting you can consider.
- Switch to a wired internet connection such as Powerline, Ethernet Cable, or MoCA. Using Wi-Fi or mobile hotspot can be the cause of several errors in games.
- For PS4 Players, hard reset the console. Users on PC, reboot the system and try playing the game.
- Reset the internet router or modem
- Cable connections, fiber, and DSL offer the best gaming experience. On the other hand, internet service providers such as satellite, wireless, and cellular are less reliable for online gaming.
- If a wired internet connection is not an option, consider:
- Changing the channel on your wireless router; ideally, the one that is used the least.
- Try shifting from 2.4GHz to 5GHz or vice versa.
- Ensure that the router is placed closer to the console or PC and not blocked by a wall or other obstacles that can block the Wi-Fi signal.
- Adjust the router’s antennae.
- Change your network connection. Try using a different internet connection. If you are using Wi-Fi, try playing the game through your mobile internet.
- Do not use other devices on the same network such as tablets, cell phones, etc. while playing Genshin Impact.
- Terminate bandwidth-intensive tasks such as Netflix, YouTube, or other video streaming services, file transfer (torrents), etc.
- Ensure you are using the latest hardware and firmware. Get in touch with your ISP and ensure the network equipment such as modems, cables, routers, switches, etc. are all up-to-date and working as intended.
- Ensure your NAT type is Open.
- Call the ISP for help with the problem.
We hope the above solutions has fixed the Genshin Impact Error Code 4206. If you have better fixes, share them in comments for others.