A four player co-op Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance is a worthwhile title if you are a dungeons fan; however, this game is not the best example of Dungeons & Dragons. Sure, it has a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, but the bugs start to make an appearance as soon as you start to play. However, that’s when you are able to launch the game. A lot of players on Steam are reporting Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance crashing, crash at startup, and won’t start. If you find yourself in a similar situation and are unable to launch the game, it may not be due to the fault of the developers. Here is what you need to fix the issue and launch the game.
How to Fix Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Crashing, Crash at Startup, and Won’t Start
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance is a resource hungry game, so most players with mid-range PC and the latest OS should be able to launch the game. But, if you are unable to it could be due to a range of factors. Troubleshooting launch problems with games is one of most difficult things due to the sheer number of reasons that can lead to the error. In this guide, we will cover everything that can possibly cause the Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance crashing, crash at startup, and won’t start.
- Update the GPU driver and OS
- The first thing you should do is check for the latest update for the graphics card driver. While you are at it update the OS as well. Outdated system software and the GPU driver are some of the most common reasons for games failing to launch.
- Launch the game in a clean boot environment
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system
- Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
- Ensure the game files are not corrupted
- While downloading and installing the game, it can become corrupted. If the game is corrupted, it will lead to crashing at launch. Fortunately, the Steam client provides you the option to repair corrupt files. Here is how to do it. Go to Library > Right-click on Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Launch the game in Windowed Mode
- Launch the Steam client
- Go to Libraries and locate Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance. Right-click on the game and select Properties
- Click on the General tab and click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
- In the field type or paste -windowed –noborder
- Press Ok and exit
- Disable Overlays
- Overlays are known to cause crash at startup. This includes the Steam Overlay, Discord Overlay, and GeForce Experience Overlay, and any other you may be using. Disable the overlay and the issue may be fixed.
Some other solutions you can try to fix Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance crashing, crash at startup, and won’t start.
- Run the Steam client and the game with admin permission.
- Ensure that the DPI is set to default 100% and the resolution you choose in game should be supported by your monitor.
- Ensure the game is not blocked by your antivirus.
- If you are using an overclocking software, disable it. Software such as MSI Afterburner and other RGB software.
- Try to run the game directly from the install folder using the .exe of the game.
- If there is a missing DLL file that’s causing the crash install the latest Visual C++ Redistributable.
Finally, if none of the above solutions have worked, wait a day or two and we will update the post with new solutions. Meanwhile, try to reinstall the game.