Spelunky 2 is as addictive game, the most addictive we have played in months. And with the PC release, we are waiting to see how the multiplayer mode works. However, the game crashing was one of the issues we encountered on PS4. Anticipating the same on PC and drawing evidence from the previous title in the series, we have created this guide to fix Spelunky 2 crash at startup, won’t launch, and white screen crash.
Some of the reasons that can cause crash for games and particularly in Spelunky 2 is an outdated driver. Nvidia released a new Game Ready Driver yesterday. If the game is crashing, ensure that you have updated your GPU driver software to the latest version available.
If you are unable to update the driver due to corruption, perform a clean install. In case, the new driver is instable and the crash is happening after updating the driver, consider rolling back the update.
Another cause of the error could be running the game without admin permission and with fullscreen enabled. You must run the game with admin permission and disable fullscreen optimisation.
The third major cause of the error could be your Windows Defender or other antivirus software. Scroll down for more.
Fix Spelunky 2 Crash at Startup, Won’t Launch, and White Screen Crash
Assuming that the graphics card is not the cause of the issue and you have performed the above solution, the next step is to ensure you are running the game on Windows 10 and a 64-bit OS. That’s the minimum specifications to play the game.
If you are on a 64-bit Windows 10 OS, follow the below solutions to resolve the Spelunky 2 crash at startup, won’t launch, and white screen crash.
Fix 1: Run the Game and Launcher with Admin Permission
Go to the destination folder of Rocket League and provide administrator permission. You have to do the same for the launcher you are using to play the game such as Steam. The process is quite simple really. Just locate the .exe file of the respective program > right-click > Properties > Compatibility > check Run this program as an administrator.
Fix 2: Disable Fullscreen Optimization & Force Windows Borderless
If the game is set for full-screen optimization, it can lead to crash, not launching, and the game locked at lower resolution. As such you must disable the full-screen optimization. In order to perform the above fix, go to the desktop shortcut of the game or the .exe and right-click, select Properties. Now, go to the Compatibility tab and check Disable fullscreen optimization.
Setting the game to Windowed and Borderless is also something that’s worked to resolve the crash. You can set this from the Steam Client.
- From the Steam Library, right-click on the game and select Properties
- Go to the Local Files tab and click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
- Type -windowed –noborder
- Press Ok and exit.
Fix 3: Disable the Antivirus Completely
As the antivirus is the primary culprit, disable the antivirus or the Windows Defender and try to play the game. If the game works, you need to set an exception for the game on the respective antivirus software as you can keep the security software disabled for long. Here are the steps.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security, select Virus & Threat Protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Locate Exclusions by scrolling down, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder
- Browse the Spelunky 2 folder and set the exclusion.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
Other Solutions to Fix Spelunky 2 Crash at Startup, Won’t Launch, and White Screen Crash
If the above solutions have failed to resolve the crash at startup and other launch problem, the possible cause may be one of the below, so, try each one at a time.
Fix 1: Verify Integrity of Game Files
If the game itself is corrupted that could also lead to crash at startup or mid-game crash with Spelunky 2. Here are the steps to check and repair corrupt files on Steam.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Spelunky 2 and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Fix 2: Terminate Unnecessary Applications and Perform Clean Boot
With so many games, third-party software that forcefully inject themselves between operations cause crash in the game. Hence, the first thing we must do to resolve the Spelunky 2 crashing on startup or failed to launch error is suspend all unnecessary programs and then launch the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system.
Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
Fix 3: Disable Steam Overlay
If the game crashes right after the intro video, the cause of the problem can be the Steam Overlay. This feature has been known to act up with some games. You can resolve the error by disabling the Steam Overlay. Launch Steam client. Click on Library and right-click on Spelunky 2. Select Properties and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Close Steam and check if the in-game crash or Spelunky 2 crash at startup still occurs.
Fix 4: Modify Discord Settings
The in-game overlay and the hardware acceleration of Discord is also known to cause crash in games. So, if you have the software installed and running disable the overlay and hardware acceleration. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Discord app and click on User Settings
- Click on Voice & Video in the left menu
- Locate Advanced by scrolling down and click
- Next, disable OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc. and Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
- Go to Overlay and disable it
- Go to Advanced anddisable Hardware Acceleration.
Hopefully, the above solutions have resolved the Spelunky 2 crash at startup and other launch problems. Let us know in comments if you have a more working solution or any other problem with the game.