Destiny 2 has had a recent patch and players are excited about the update, especially because it promises to fix some of the impending issues with the game. But, as you launch the game, you may be met with the Destiny 2 Error Code CAT. You may assume that the update has messed up the game and introduced a new error. While the CAT error is rarely encountered in the game, it has existed since the original Destiny and has a very specific purpose. Keep reading as we help you fix the cat error in Destiny 2.
How to Fix Destiny 2 Error Code CAT
You will see the Cat Error in Destiny 2 in a very specific circumstance when the game has gone down for maintenance and the server are back online. If you try to launch the game after an update, you will see the CAT error. It’s because of the conflict between the client and the server version of the game. In simple words, you need to update the game to fix the error.
Update the Game
The Cat error can occur on any platform – PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. The fix for all the devices is the same i.e. to update the game.
Besides the above fix for the Steam client, if you use the Xbox PC app, you can find the update via My Collections > Manage Installs.
Open the Notifications menu and go to Downloads menu. You should be able to see the Destiny Update File icon. Click on it to begin the update.
From the Xbox Home menu, go to My Games and Apps. Select Update and find Destiny 2. Click on it to start the update.
Restart the Steam App
If the above doesn’t work then try restarting the Steam app on your computer. Exit the app completely by right-clicking on the Steam icon in the Windows taskbar tray and selecting “Exit” or “Close.” Then, relaunch the Steam app and try launching Destiny 2 again. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor connectivity issues and help synchronize your game version with the server.
Verify Game Files
If updating the game through Steam does not resolve the CAT error, you can verify the game files to ensure their integrity. Follow these steps:
- Launch the Steam app and go to your Library.
- Right-click on Destiny 2 and select “Properties.”
- In the Properties window, navigate to the “Local Files” tab.
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of Game Files” button.
- Steam will then compare your game files with the server version and automatically repair or replace any corrupted or missing files.
Clear Download Cache
Clearing the Steam download cache can resolve update-related issues:
- Clear Download Cache: Navigate to Steam settings, click on the “Downloads” tab, and select the “Clear Download Cache” button.
- Restart Steam: After clearing the cache, restart Steam and check if the update appears.
Clean Install the Game
A clean install can often resolve underlying issues within the game files. Here’s how you can perform a clean install of Destiny 2:
- Uninstall Destiny 2: Go to your computer’s control panel, find “Uninstall a Program,” locate Destiny 2, and uninstall it.
- Delete Remaining Files: After uninstalling, manually delete any remaining Destiny 2 files or folders from your computer.
- Reinstall Destiny 2: Visit your game platform (e.g., Steam) and reinstall Destiny 2 from scratch.
Allow the verification process to complete, and once finished, try launching Destiny 2 again to check if the CAT error persists.
If the above solution did not work and the game is already on the latest version or patch, it’s possible that the maintenance is still in progress and that’s why you are getting the error code. Wait for the maintenance to be over and you should be able to play the game after updating.