October is turning out to be a gamer’s delight with a number of titles coming out in early access, betas, and releases such as the Baldur’s Gate 3, Phasmophobia, Star Wars Squadrons, FIFA 21, and the free-to-play game Genshin Impact. Second Extinction is the latest title to be released today as an early access on Steam. A unique FPS game playable solo or with friends, it draws some similarity with ARK in terms of the environment. But, eager players who jumped to play the game are faced with problems such as Second Extinction crash at startup and not launching problem.
Causes of Second Extinction Crashing at Startup or Failed to Launch
- A large number of users face the crash at startup with Second Extinctiondue to the system not meeting the minimum specifications of the game, especially the GPU and the processor. Therefore, first ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements to play the game.
|OS: Windows 10 (64-Bit versions)||OS: Windows 10 (64-Bit versions)|
|Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X||Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X|
|Memory: 12 GB RAM||Memory: 16 GB RAM|
|Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB||Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8 GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB|
|Storage: 30 GB available space||Storage: 50 GB available space|
- Another major cause of crashes in games either in-game or startup occurs when the game is not updated. Therefore, check for updates for the game, but in this case it may not apply as the game’s just released and you probably are on the first install.
- Developers release new games with the intention that it’ll be running on the latest operating system version. If your OS is outdated, it can be the cause of errors including crash and not launching problem.
- Microsoft Redistributable Libraries are also important when it comes to running games. If you do not have them installed or they are corrupted or overwritten, it can cause problems with the game.
- When the game files are corrupted, the game will definitely crash. Hence, when you encounter a crash at startup with Second Extinction, the first thing you should do is verify the game files. Steam, Epic, Origin, and other launchers all have a function to repair corrupt game files. Use the feature of the respective launcher.
- When you run the game on fullscreen, it can cause performance problems. Hence, it’s recommended that you try to play the game in Windowed mode and check if the problem still occurs.
- Like the OS and the game, the graphics card driver software also plays a crucial role in game delivery to your screen and if the software is outdated it can cause crash. Graphics card manufacturers release new driver updates several times in a month. Ensure that you have the latest update.
- When dealing with crash at startup, you should note that Overlays in software can cause crash, primarily the Steam, GeForce Experience, and Discord Overlays are known to cause crash at startup. In fact, don’t run any software that is not necessary while playing Second Extinction.
- Windows Defender is known for its reputation of blocking game folders, which leads to crash. The same can happen with the third-party antivirus software you may be using. You must whitelist the game in the security software.
- Finally, if there is a problem with the hard drive where you have installed the game, it can also lead to crash. Therefore, try changing the install location of the game or use an external SSD.
Fix Baldur’s Gate 3 Crash at Startup and Not Launching Problem
Whenever you install a new game, there are certain things you should ensure, whitelisting the game is one and the second, provide admin permission to the game and the launcher. You can do this by going to the install location of the game and right-clicking on the .exe > select Properties > go to Compatibility tab > check Run this program as an administrator. Let’s proceed with the solutions.
Fix 1: Turn Off the Antivirus or Windows Firewall
The most likely cause of theSecond Extinctioncrash at startup is your antivirus software. Therefore, disable the software and try to play the game. If the works, you need to whitelist the game as you cannot have the antivirus disabled for long. Here are the steps to whitelist the game in the respective antivirus software.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
Windows Key + I > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Manage settings > Exclusions > Add or remove exclusions > Add an exclusion.
Kaspersky Internet Security
Home > Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Exclusions > Specify Trusted Applications > Add.
Home >> Settings > Components > Web Shield > Exceptions > Set the exception.
Home > Settings > General > Exclusions > Set the exclusion.
Fix 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam
Depending on the launcher you are using to play the game, the process is similar. Steam offers a feature to scan and replace any corrupt files of the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Second Extinction and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Fix 3: Set Launch Option on Steam for Windowed Mode
- Launch the Steam client
- Go to Libraries and locate Second Extinction. Right-click on the game and select Properties
- Click on the General tab and click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
- In the field type or paste -windowed –noborder
- Press Ok and exit
- Restart the system and check if the Second Extinction crash at startup still occurs.
Fix 4: Update the Graphics Drivers
Although an outdated graphics card driver causes the most crashes, you should keep all drivers and software updated on the system. This includes the OS, audio drivers, motherboards, processors, etc.
So, first update the graphics card drivers and check if Second Extinction crashes on startup or in-game. Nvidia recently released Game Ready Driver. Here are the link to both Nvidia and AMD drivers you need.
Select your OS and other specs and download and install the software. If the problem persists, update everything from OS to audio drivers and check again.
Fix 5: Terminate Unnecessary Applications and Perform Clean Boot
With so many games, third-party software that forcefully inject themselves between operations cause crash in the game. Hence, the first thing we must do to resolve the Second Extinction crashing on startup or failed to launch error is suspend all unnecessary programs and then launch the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system.
Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
Fix 6: Disable Steam Overlay
If the game crashes right after the intro video, the cause of the problem can be the Steam Overlay. This feature has been known to act up with some games. You can resolve the error by disabling the Steam Overlay. Launch Steam client. Click on Library and right-click on Second Extinction. Select Properties and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Close Steam and check if the in-game crash or Second Extinction crash at startup still occurs.
Fix 7: Disable or Remove GeForce Experience / MSI Afterburner
Sometimes third-party software can tune the GPU settings that does not pair with the game leading to the error. By simply disabling the software, you can resolve the errors. You can uninstall the programs to disable them or simply disable them from the Task Manager. Disable the programs via any method that suits you. Once done, try playing the game and check if the error still appears.
Fix 8: Disable Shader Cache
For Nvidia users, you can disable the Shader Cache which is known to crash games. Here are the steps to disable Shader Cache from the Nvidia Control panel.
- Right-click on Desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Expand 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings
- Click Add and select Second Extinction
- Under Specify the settings for this program, locate Shader Cache and select Off.
Check if the Second Extinction Game Crashes at Startup, Crashes Mid-game, and other performance errors still occur. If they do, try the next fix.
Fix 9: Remove Bad Sectors from the HHD
If you have bad sectors on your HDD, it could also be causing the crash. Although you could correct the corruption in the file system via CHKDSK on Command Prompt, here is a simple alternative.
- Right-click on C drive or the partition where you have installed the game and the launcher.
- Select Properties and go to Tools
- Click on Check and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Try playing the game.
- After the process completes, the window will auto-exit.
Now, try playing the game and check if Second Extinction crashing error still occurs.
Fix 10: Modify Discord Settings
The in-game overlay and the hardware acceleration of Discord is also known to cause crash in games. So, if you have the software installed and running disable the overlay and hardware acceleration. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Discord app and click on User Settings
- Click on Voice & Video in the left menu
- Locate Advanced by scrolling down and click
- Next, disable OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc. and Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
- Go to Overlay and disable it
- Go to Advanced anddisable Hardware Acceleration.
Fix 11: Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015
Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl, hit Enter
- Locate Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Right-click on it and select Uninstall
- Reboot the system and try to play the game. If it still crashes proceed to install Visual C++
- Download and install both the x86 and x64 versions
- Restart the system.
Hopefully, the above solutions have resolved the Second Extinction crashing at startup and won’t launch problem with the game. Let us know in the comments if you have better solutions.