Minutes ago, State of Decay 2 got a massive update. The update is titled Curveball. It’s the 34th update for the game. Unfortuiantley, the update does not fixes any patches for issues in the game, but introduces a new event. Curveball is the new event in the game that you can read more about in the patch notes. To enjoy the latest features of the game make sure that you download the latest version of the game. Here are the State of Decay 2 Update 34 Curveball Patch Notes (September 18).
State of Decay 2 Update 34 Curveball Patch Notes (September 18)
For players on Steam, it is recommended that you reboot the client to see the update. If the update is still not visible, reboot the PC. You can also enable Uto updates , so the game can download the updates when they become available. To do so, go to the Steam Library > right-click on the game > Go to Properties > Updates > enable the Automatic Updates option.
Curveballs are new events that contain world changing modifiers which can happen at random, or appear as a response to something you’ve done.
A Combination of Effects
- Curveballs contain up to three different effects, these modifiers will change up aspects of the simulation and come in both Major and Minor variations.
- Major effects will be very impactful, these are the dominant headliners of the event and are denoted by a star symbol in the effects panel.
- Minor effects are additional modifiers to accompany the Major, they are not as impactful but certainly spice up the experience.
- Curveballs are not always one-shot events, they have a chance to reappear and when they do so you may receive a different combination of effects for a different experience, a previously seen minor effect may now be elevated to a major and vice versa.
What can be affected by Curveballs
We don’t want to give too much away, but you can read a few hints below for what you can expect!
- Zombie & Plague Heart Mutations
- Zombie Curveballs can occur. Whether it’s through a new mutation or symptoms of decay, zombies can now emerge as stronger or weaker by having their damage, speed and resistances altered.
- Infestations can be a breeding ground for mutations. Zombies may develop weird side effects or behaviours which will require you to switch up your usual strategy.
- Plague Hearts also have a chance to change over time, for better or worse. Expect the unexpected…
- Community & Base Changes
- Sometimes your survivors will have good and bad days. Depending on the Curveball, effects can influence your communities stamina, morale, proficiencies and effectiveness of base facilities.
- World Events
- Curveballs extend out to many other aspects of the wasteland like looting chances, resource availability, radio actions or even new hostile survivors wandering into town.
Location and Global Curveballs
- Location – Some Curveballs will be events that only occur at a specific location, this will be highlighted on the map. Whether you want to skirt around the area or drive straight in is up to you!
- Global – Global Curveballs are unescapable, they will be in effect no matter where you are and you’ll just need to take this into account as you traverse the world.
Resolving a Curveball
- Timed Curveballs – Some Curveballs are just destined to fade out over time. These will eventually expire and the effects will come and go.
- Objective Curveballs – Some of the worst Curveballs will require you to take action to rid the world of it’s influence. These actions are small objectives, that when completed, will clear up the effects so you can get back to the “normal life” of surviving the apocalypse.
With this new system, a few new UI additions have been made so everything easier to understand when a Curveball starts and when they end.
The NEW Curveball Menu
With these seemingly random things occurring and overlapping each other, you’ll need a way to track what’s happening. This is where the Curveball Menu can help! Every detail you receive will be recorded and visible within this new tab in the menu screen.
- Curveball Entries – This page in the menu will provide information on all events upcoming, active and expired.
- Upcoming Entries – A Curveball is a result of new and emerging situations occurring in the wasteland. Before a Curveball and it’s effects become active, a survivor may ask to speak to you about an observation. This intel is your forewarning to an upcoming curveball and will be recorded here.
- Active Entries – When the Curveball appears in the world it will shift up from Upcoming to Active! This is when the situation and effects are live. All active curveballs will be recorded here in the menu for reference at anytime.
- Expired Entries – Curveballs will eventually come to an end, either from time or the completion of it’s associated objective. Once it has ended it the effects will be removed and the event entry will shift down into the expired section in the menu.
- Details – The central component of the Curveball Menu is where all the details are shown.
- Event panel – The event itself, it’s description and all it’s active effects can be easily viewed in the central component of the page.
- Zombie Type – Some Curveballs will only affect a particular zombie type, this will be displayed here.
- Effects Overview – Multiple Curveballs can be active at once and it may be tricky to remember all the active effects live and influence the simulation. The details panel is your overview to see them all in one place.
- Positive modifiers – Effects which benefit your survivors will be marked with a green up arrow.
- Negative modifiers – Effects which are dangerous to your survivors will be marked with a red down arrow.
- Star symbols next to effects denote that they are Major effects.
- Notes – Life in the wasteland moves quickly and you may not catch everything which gets mentioned on the radio. Your conversations and the observations you make will be recorded in the Notes section of the Curveball Menu, allowing you to easily read through the events that led to the appearance of this Curveball.
- Open the Notes menu at the bottom of the page to receive the timeline popup revealing who said what on which day.
Curveballs and the map
With some Curveballs being location based and some having objectives tied to them. The map has been updated to help visualise where a Curveball is affecting or where it’s relevant objectives are.
Surviving the apocalypse means a lot can be going on, so when the latest Curveball comes around, new notifications will appear to give you the info you need at a glance.
Notifications will appear whenever a Curveball is
- Starting soon
- Becomes active
- Has ended
- An objective has completed / updated