Valheim supports up to 10 players in a game. Dedicated servers can be created by players. But at times, the users are encountered by a ValheimIncompatible Version Error hindering them to join a game. This error is exactly what the message states, there is incompatibility with the client version and server version of the game. Keep scrolling and find the tips and tricks to fix version mismatch error.
Causes of Valheim Incompatible Version Error
Due to a mismatch in the versions of the game on the client-side and remote server-side this error is encountered. Update the client and remote server-side to the same version of the game to fix the error.
Fix Valheim Version Mismatch Error
The steps are very simple and easy to follow. It requires updating to Valheim’s latest version on the client-side as well as the server-side.
Client-side update to fix Valheim incompatible version error
Steam provides easy and better utility to solve the error quickly and to install the latest version without any hassle.
1. Open the Steam.
2. Locate Valheim on Steam.
3. Right-click on Valheim.
4. Choose the “Properties” option from the list of options.
5. Then click on “Updates”
6. Download the updates if any
7. Enable the “automatic updates” if desired
Server-side update to fix incompatible version error
If Steam already has the latest version of Valheim then it suggests that there might be a different version on the server-side and it needs to be updated.
– The steps to update the server running in-game is easy. If the server is running in-game it could be simply updated by following the steps mentioned above in steam.
– Updated dedication server application to update your specific dedicated server.
– Perform Force update for outside the game servers. Use the Steam console client for the same.
The following steps have to be performed for forcing the update:
1. Back up the data / save the data folder in the installation directory of Valheim. All the data will be required later hence make sure to manage all the data safely without losing any.
2. SteamCMD is to be downloaded.
3. Then do the process of installation of SteamCMD.
4. A new file is to be created in Valheim’s installation directory. It should be named “Update.bat”.
5. Open the file created.
6. The following texts should be typed in “Update.bat” file: “[SteamCMD directory] +login anonymous +force_install_dir [Valheim directory] +app_update 896660 validate +exit”
7. Close the bat file after saving it.
8. The server will be updated to the current version after running the “Update.bat” file.
The process of updating the server seems to be tedious and confusing but following the above-mentioned steps carefully would help you fix the issue easily and you can enjoy playing your game!