The NBA 2K21 error code 56d85bb8 is one of the most bothersome error codes in the game and even the support is of no help as reported by users on Reddit. The error has existed since the NBA 2K16 and has continued with all installments of the game. A generic response from the 2K support is that you have a connection problem. In this case, they are right. If you have tried troubleshooting the issue, nothing would have worked because the problem lies deeper than you think and reinstalling the game will not help. As such, how can you fix the 56d85bb8 error code. Stick around and we will show you how.
Fix NBA 2K21 Error Code 56d85bb8
The 2K21 Error Code 56d85bb8 has to do with the ports forwarded on your router. As we explored various forums, the only fix that seems to work in resolving the error or reducing it’s occurrence is forwarding the game’s ports on your router. Here is how you replicate the process.
Forward Ports to Fix NBA 2K21 Error Code 56d85bb8
As the first part of the process, you need to assign static IP for the Xbox and PlayStation.
Before assigning the static IP address, we need to find the IP address of your device. Let’s find and note down the IP address.
For Xbox One Users
- Push the menu button on the Xbox
- Go to Settings > Network > Advanced Settings
- Navigate to IP Address section and note down the IP Address and the MAC address.
For PlayStation Users
- Start the PlayStation 4 Console.
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Network > View Connection Status.
- Locate the IP address and MAC address and note it down.
Now that you have your IP address and the Mac address, we can set the static IP. Follow these steps to set the static IP.
- Open any browser and enter the Default Gateway number (IP address) provided by the ISP and log-in using your username and password.
- Navigate to settings and activate Enable Manual Assignment option. Under the Manual Assignment option, add the IP address and the MAC address of your console and click add.
- Remember though, the name and the settings can vary from one router to the other so you might have to do a little searching to find the exact options. Type the name of your router + set static IP and you should find some helpful articles on Google.
Having set the static IP, we can now proceed to port forwarding.
- While still logged into the Default Gateway number, find the port forwarding section. If this option does not appear in settings, try the advanced settings. Have the help page of the router manufacturer open for support on terminology and steps to find port forwarding.
- Now that you have entered port forwarding, you have to enter the range of the ports you want to open in Start and End or Internal and External. For NBA 2K21, the port ranges are:-
|Ports to Forward in NBA 2K21|
|NBA 2K21 – PlayStation 4 |
NBA 2K21 – Steam
NBA 2K21 – Switch
NBA 2K21 – Xbox One
Remember of fill the exact protocol – TCP or UDP under the Type of Service Type option. As there is option to open one port range at a time, do this multiple times until you add all the port ranges.
- The next step is to enter the static IP we created for the console and click enable or ok. Restart the console and router for the settings to apply.
- Check if the NBA 2K21 Error Code 56d85bb8 has been resolved.
That’s all we have in this guide, we hope your problem is fixed. If you have a more effective solution feel free to comment and share with others.