As Valorant become available to the world after the closed beta a few days back, millions of people had access to the game. The overwhelming number of players is causing problems with the server leading to a range of problems that were present in the beta but not as widespread. For most errors, Riot Games has acknowledged the issue and assured they are working on getting the servers fully functional again. Connection error with Valorant is one of the most common errors. The error message appears as “Connection Error – Valorant has encountered a connection error, please relaunch this client to reconnect.” If you have encountered this error and wondering what to do we have the solution.
The most obvious reason for the Valorant’s connection error is a problem with the servers that’s causing the disconnect, but the cause can easily be local. Your firewall might be blocking Valorant, there can be a hardware problem with the modem/router, or the system might be running for too long that’s causing initialization issue. Here are all the possible solutions for the problem.
General Fixes for Connection Problems with Valorant
As with most online games, a number of issues can cause connectivity problem and lead to one or the other error codes. Here are some of the basic troubleshooting you try.
- Switch to a wired internet connection such as Powerline, Ethernet Cable, or MoCA. Wi-Fi or mobile hotspot are highly volatile and can cause bandwidth fluctuations leading to problems.
- Cable connections, fiber, and DSL offer the best gaming experience. On the other hand, internet service providers such as satellite, wireless, and cellular are less reliable for online gaming.
- If a wired internet connection is not an option, consider:
- Changing the channel on your wireless router; ideally, the one that is used the least.
- Try shifting from 2.4GHz to 5GHz or vice versa.
- Ensure that the router is placed closer to the computer and the signal is not hindered by a wall or something else.
- Adjust the router’s antennae.
- Do not use other devices on the same network such as tablets, cell phones, etc. while playing Valorant as it could syphon the speed of the internet.
- Terminate bandwidth-intensive tasks such as Netflix, YouTube, or other video streaming services, file transfer (torrents), etc.
- Ensure you are using the latest hardware and firmware. Get in touch with your ISP and ensure the network equipment such as modems, cables, routers, switches, etc. are all up-to-date and working as intended.
- Call the ISP for help with the problem.
- Change the NAT type.
If doing the above has not resolved the Connection Error – VALORANT, here are some other fixes.
Fix 1: Wait for the Servers to Respond
Valorant servers in your region being busy is quite a real problem as large amount of people are trying to jump into the game. If this is the reason for the connection error with Valorant, there is little you can do other than wait out the storm and retry. Give the game some time and try to reconnect. While you are waiting, check out the official twitter handle of Valorant to see if you find something there that confirms Valorant is down in your region. You can also use websites like Downdetector that provide the status of the servers.
Fix 2: Set Exception on the Firewall
For a lot of users the Windows Firewall blocked certain operations of the game and it’s anti-cheat Vanguard that lead to such problems with the game. Setting exception on the third-party antivirus software and the Windows Firewall can help prevent the issue. Here are the steps to replicate the process.
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security and select Firewall & network protection
- Click on Allow an app through firewall
- Locate Valorant and Vanguard, tick both Private and Public
- Save the changes.
If you are using a third-party antivirus, you need to set an exception on the antivirus for League of Legends. Here are the steps for various antivirus programs.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
Fix 3: Restart the Modem/Router
Finally, if nothing else works, restart the modem or your router and it can potentially fix the Valorant connection error. To do so, dislodge the power cords and let the machine rest for a while, reconnect the router and try playing the game.
Try the above fixes and your Connection Error – VALORANT would be resolved.