Starfield, the highly anticipated space exploration game from Bethesda Game Studios, has captivated gamers with its immersive universe and expansive gameplay. However, like any other open-world game, players may encounter the familiar message, “You are carrying too much and can’t fast travel.” This restriction can be frustrating, but fear not, as we will delve into the mechanics of inventory management in Starfield and explore various ways to free up space so you can get back to fast traveling in no time.
Every item in your possession has a certain mass value associated with it, and your character has a maximum carrying capacity. When your inventory exceeds this limit, you will be unable to fast travel, which can hinder your progress and exploration in the game.
Ways to Free Up Inventory Space in Starfield
To remove the “You are carrying too much and can’t fast travel” message and regain your ability to fast travel, you must reduce the total mass of items in your inventory. Here are several tricks you can employ:
- Store Items in the Ship’s Storage: Your spaceship in Starfield serves as your home away from home and comes equipped with storage space. Utilize this storage to store items that you don’t need to carry with you at all times. Access the ship’s storage through your spaceship’s interface, and move heavy or non-essential items there.
- Trade Items for Credits: One effective way to free up inventory space is by selling items you no longer need to merchants. Visit traders and vendors in various locations and trade your surplus items for credits. This not only lightens your load but also provides you with valuable currency for purchasing upgrades and equipment.
- Trade with Sarah: If you’ve interacted with Sarah, one of the companions in Starfield, you can leverage her assistance in managing your inventory. To do this, engage in conversation with Sarah and look for the option to trade with her. Sarah can help you transfer items to her inventory, effectively reducing your burden.
- Drop Unnecessary Items: In cases where items are too heavy or hold little value, consider dropping them. Be cautious with this approach, though, as you might lose items you could have otherwise traded or sold for credits.
- Invest in Skills and Perks: As you progress through the game, invest in skills and perks that increase your character’s carrying capacity. This will allow you to carry more items without reaching the weight limit.
- Craft and Upgrade: Crafting and upgrading your equipment can also help reduce the overall mass of items you carry. Craft lightweight armor and weapons or upgrade your existing gear to maximize their efficiency while minimizing their weight.
By storing items in your ship’s storage, trading with vendors, utilizing companion assistance, and investing in character skills and perks, you can free up valuable inventory space and continue your galactic adventures without interruption.