Xbox and PC users of PUBG have encountered a new error with the game – PUBG voice chat not working. This problem is so widespread that the PUBG developers have recognized the bug and have fixed it. However, a lot of users still face the issue. Since the developers have claimed to fix the bug, if you are still facing this error, the likely cause is your device or connection. In our investigation, we found several causes that can cause the error. Addressing these sources allowed users to resolve the PUBG mic not working error.
Cause of PUBG Mic Not Working
Although the exact cause of the error is unknown to this date, it occurs mostly with players participating in squads or duos modes. The problem can also be when the user has not installed the latest PUBG patch, the server is overcrowded or handling a large number of players, and loss of packets due to disconnect.
Don’t fuss though, we have scoured the internet and assembled a list of solutions that have helped the most number of uses. As there is no one solution to fix the problem, you will have to try them all to check which works for you. So, let’s get started with the fix.
Before you proceed, try restarting the computer, most problems are fixed with a simple restart. If the problem still occurs after restarting, proceed with the fixes.
Fix 1: Change DNS on Console or PC
Among all the solutions to fix PUBG voice chat not working, changing the DNS settings has worked for most users. And this is also the most recent solution, in fact, you will not find it on any other website. To perform this solution you have to replace your existing DNS with a free Google DNS that works great.
For Xbox One
- On the controller, press the Guide button.
- Select All Settings > Network > Network settings > Advanced settings > DNS Settings > Manual.
- Input the Google DNS addresses 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 in both the primary and secondary fields and restart the console.
For Windows 10 Users
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Windows Settings
- Select Network & Internet
- Click on Change adapter options
- Select the network and right-click > Properties
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
- Toggle Use the following DNS server addresses and fill the Google DNS 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- Click Ok.
Play the game and check if the voice chat feature in PUBG is working.
Fix 2: Using a VPN
Sometimes a particular server might be experiencing excessive traffic which can cause lag, changing the server via a VPN may fix the problem. A lot of users have reported using VPN fixed their problem, especially if your problem is that the chat sound turns on and off on its own. Additionally, if you are already using a VPN you may want to turn off the VPN and try playing the game.
Fix 3: Change Internet Connection
Quite a lot of users also fixed the problem by simply changing their network, so this simple fix is worth the try. If you are using Wi-Fi, try connecting via a wired connection or mobile hotspot. If you use Wi-Fi, then, we recommend that you shift to a wired internet connection permanently to resolve this issue and prevent others in the future.
Fix 4: Update PUBG to the Latest Version
The PUBG voice chat may not be working as you are running an older version of the software. The developers of the game regularly release patches that address the bugs and error in the game while also introducing new features. The PUBG developers have fixed the bud as reported on the official Twitter handle and you are still getting the error, this may be due to using an outdated version of the game. So, check the official PUBG website or Steam client for a new patch.
Fix 5: Ensure the Mic is On
Often times, players go through a variety of troubleshooting to later discover that the mic on PUBG is not on. So let’s eliminate that first before we proceed to other fixes. To do this on Windows 10 follow the below steps.
- Go to Windows Setting by pressing Windows Key + I
- Click on Privacy
- Go to Microphone in the left panel
- Click on Change and ensure it’s toggled On.
Start the game and check if PUBG mic is working or not.
Fix 6: Update Audio Driver
An outdated audio driver can also be the cause of this error. If you are on Windows 10 or any other Windows, the device drivers are automatically updated. So, check if there is any recent update and install the updates. You can also manually download the audio drivers of the respective audio device manufacturer on your computer.
Additionally, go to Device Manager > right-click on the device and select Update Driver. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the update for the audio driver.
Fix 7: Troubleshoot Sound Problem on Windows 10
This problem can also be fixed by simple troubleshooting on Windows. To do this, follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the volume icon and click on Troubleshoot sound problems.
- The system will detect if any problem exists and provide recommendations.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fix any problem that exists with sound.
Fix 8: Check the Audio Settings of PUBG
Changing the audio settings of the game also works in fixing this problem. Follow the below steps to select all channels in voice chat.
- Open the game, go to Settings > Sound.
- Ensure that all settings are at 100 and the Voice Chat Mode is set to Push To Talk and Voice Chat Channel to All.
- Click on Apply and play the game to see of PUBG voice chat not working is resolved.
Fix 9: Modify Steam Audio Settings
Follow the below steps to fix the problem with the Steam client.
- Open the Steam client and go to Steam in the top-right corner.
- Click on Steam > Settings > In-Game Voice.
- Ensure your device is listed under the Recording (audio input) device, if not, click on CHANGE DEVICE and set your device.
- Set the Microphone volume to maximum and the Receive volume to maximum.
- Click Ok and try playing the game. Check if the mic is working.
Fix 10: Modify PUBG files
At times the game files might not be in the right configuration which can cause the voice chat to not work. Follow the below steps to modify PUBG game files.
- In the Windows search tab, type %appdata%
- Select the folder “%appdata%” > click on AppData
- Go to Local > TslGame > Saved > Config > WindowsNoEditor
- Open GameUserSettings.ini file in Notepad
- Ensure the values are correct
Make sure the values are the same as in the above table and save the file.
- Restart the computer and try to play the game again.
Fix 11: Repair PUBG
There is a Repair button on PUBG that allows you to fix minor issues with the game. This is a really useful feature that has helped a lot of users fix the problem. Restart the computer and open the game. On the screen, you would see the option Repair, click on it.
These are the 11 fixes we recommend if you encounter PUBG voice chat not working. We invite you to add comments and let us know the solutions that worked for you.