The Windows Search bar is an essential tool to access files, information, and applications quickly on your computer. Using the Windows search bar, you can easily search for quick calculations, movie trailers, stock prices, weather forecasts, movie times, sports scores, and much more. However, like other Windows features, the Search Bar tool might stop working causing frustration among users. In this guide, we will explore several potential reasons behind this issue and provide all the top workarounds to fix this issue.
How to Fix Windows Search Bar Not Working
There could be several reasons why you are experiencing Windows Search Bar not working issue such as:
– Search service disabled
– Outdated version of Windows
– Corrupted user profile
– Third-party antivirus or firewall program
– Indexing issues and much more
Thankfully, this guide has covered all potential methods to fix this problem so stick to this guide and learn how you can fix Windows Search Bar not working issue.
1. Check Windows Search Indexing Settings
The Windows Search Bar relies on an index of your files and documents to provide quick results. If this index is corrupted or incomplete, it can lead to search issues. To check the indexing settings:
– Go to Start >> Settings >> Windows Settings >> Update & Security >> Troubleshoot >> Search and Indexing under ‘Find and fix other problems’.
– Next, run the troubleshooter and select any issues that apply, and then Windows will start scanning and solving the issue.
2. Restart the Windows Search Service
Many times, the simplest solution is the most effective. Restarting the Windows Search Service can resolve minor bugs that may be causing the search bar to malfunction. To do this:
– Press “Win + R” to open the Run dialog.
– Type “services.msc” and press Enter to open the Services window.
– Find “Windows Search” in the list of services.
– Right-click on it and select “Restart.”
3. Make Sure to Update Your Windows
In case your Windows is not updated to the latest version, it can cause this issue so update it to the latest version and then check if the issue is fixed. Here is how you can do it:
– Press Win + I keys and open up Settings
– Select Update & Security >> Windows update >> Check for Updates and install the latest version
That’s all for this guide. Let us know if any of the above methods help you to fix the Windows search bar not working issue.
4. Run Windows Troubleshooter
Running a Windows troubleshooter is one of the classic methods to fix any Windows-related issues. To do this:
– Press Win + I and go to Settings >> Update & Security.
– Click on ‘Troubleshoot’ from the left panel.
– Scroll down and click on “Search and Indexing.”
– Run the troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. Disable Third-Party Antivirus
Certain third-party antivirus programs can interfere with Windows processes, including the search functionality. Temporarily disable your antivirus software to see if it resolves the issue. Remember to re-enable it afterward.
6. Turn ON and OFF Cortana
Sometimes, Cortana can also prevent the function of Windows so try turning ON and OFF Cortana and check if the issue is fixed.
That’s all for this guide. We hope this guide has helped you to fix the Windows search bar not working issue.Read next: How to fix Windows 10 & 11 update error 0x8024a204.