Windows users occasionally encounter errors that can hinder their productivity and cause frustration. One such error is the “Operation Failed With Error 0x00011b” message, which can appear when attempting to print documents. This error is often related to recent Windows updates addressing security vulnerabilities in network printers. In this article, we will discuss various methods to resolve this error and get your printer working smoothly again.
Read: Fix Destiny 2 Graphics Runtime Error
How to Fix Operation Failed With Error 0x00011b
If you’re getting the error code 0x00011b in your windows then follow the below methods to fix this issue. Here are some solutions to fix the error.
Keeping your operating system up to date is crucial for addressing known issues and security vulnerabilities. Microsoft regularly releases updates that include bug fixes and improvements. Start by checking for any pending Windows updates and installing them. These updates may include a fix for the Operation Failed With Error 0x00011b issue.
Uninstall the problematic update
If the error started occurring after a specific Windows update, it is possible that the update itself is causing the issue. In such cases, uninstalling the problematic update can resolve the error. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to “Settings” by pressing the Windows key + I on your keyboard.
- Select “Update & Security” and click on “Windows Update” in the left sidebar.
- Click on “View update history” and then on “Uninstall updates.”
- Locate the update causing the error (usually identified by its KB number), right-click on it, and select “Uninstall.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Restart your computer and check if the error is resolved.
Disable CVE-2021-1678 mitigation
The Operation Failed With Error 0x00011b issue has been linked to a security vulnerability related to network printers (CVE-2021-1678). Disabling the mitigation for this vulnerability can help resolve the error. However, please note that this step involves editing the Windows Registry, and it’s crucial to proceed with caution. Here’s how to disable the CVE-2021-1678 mitigation:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit” (without quotes) and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print
- Right-click on an empty space in the right panel, select “New,” and choose “DWORD (32-bit) value.”
- Name the new DWORD as “RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled” (without quotes) and press Enter.
- Double-click on the newly created DWORD and set the Base to “Hexadecimal” and the Value to “0.”
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
By disabling the CVE-2021-1678 mitigation, you are preventing the security feature related to network printers that may be causing the error.
Install Microsoft-supplied hotfix
Microsoft may release a hotfix or patch specifically designed to address the Operation Failed With Error 0x00011b issue. Keep an eye on Microsoft’s official website or check for updates using the Windows Update feature. If a hotfix or patch is available, install it to resolve the error. This solution ensures that you have the most appropriate fix provided by Microsoft.
It’s worth noting that these solutions may temporarily address the error, but it’s crucial to monitor official updates from Microsoft. As they continue to investigate and address the issue, they may release official fixes or patches that provide a more comprehensive and long-term solution.
Read next: Fix Session Error Domain 500 Cash App