Windows 11 is the latest operating system and is used by millions of users globally. Thankfully, Microsoft often releases new security updates to the OS. These new updates are optional and cumulative. However, sometimes they also bring new bugs and issues. Lately, many Windows 11 users are reporting that they are running into an error 0x80242fff while updating their Windows to the latest version. Are you also getting the same error? Then these troubleshooting tips will help you to fit it.
How to Fix Windows 11 Update Install Error 0x80242fff
Typically, the error code 0x80242fff occurs while updating Windows 11 to the latest version due to corrupted game files, failed updates, improperly installed new updates, network settings, or inactive Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Fortunately, this error is fixable and here we show you all the potential methods to fix Windows 11 update install error 0x80242fff.
1. Reset Windows Update Component
When you encounter error 0x80242fff while installing a new Windows 11 update, the very first method we suggest is to reset the Windows update component.
– Copy all of the following commands and paste them into the “notepad”.
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
– Then go to file and click on “Save as” and then set the location on “Desktop”
– Name this file as Wufix.bat and select “Save as type” as “All files” and then click on “Save”
– Next, go to the desktop and right-click on this new file Wufix.bat and click on “Run as administrator”
– Click on “Yes” to allow
– Wait until the scanning process is complete.
– Then, the command window will be closed automatically and the Win 11 update install error 0x80242fff will get fixed.
2. Run the Update Troubleshooter
If the error persists, try running the update troubleshooter. Here are some simple steps to follow:
– Open up Start menu >> Settings >> System >> Troubleshooter >> Other troubleshooters >> lastly select Windows Update.
– And then try to install the latest update and you won’t see the error 0x80242fff.
3. Restart Windows Update and Background Intelligent transfer service
The next method we recommend is to restart Windows update and background intelligent transfer service. For this:
– Open up Services in the window
– Find out the Windows update in the list and double-click on it
– Make sure the “Startup type” is set to “Automatic” and click on “Apply”
– Click on “Start” if highlighted and then click on “Ok”
– With Windows update selected click on “Restart the service”
Once done, now restart the background intelligent transfer service. For this:
– Open Services in the window
– Find the “Background Intelligent Transfer” service right-click on it and then select “Properties”.
– In the newly opened screen, set “Startup type” as Automatic and Service status as Running. Click on the Restart option from the top left side of the screen
– At last, save the changes and install the update again
4. Use Windows 11 Installation Assistant
Some users have managed to resolve this issue by using Windows 11 installation assistant.
– Copy the following link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 and paste it into the web address. It will take you to the Microsoft website.
– There you will see the Windows 11 installation assistant.
– Next, click on the “Download Now” button.
– Once the downloading process is done, run the .exe file and click on “Yes” to allow.
– Then if you have any pending update(s), click on it and the new update will start installing on your system.
5. Use Microsoft Update Catalog
If the issue persists, try using Microsoft update catalog to fix the error 0x80242fff. To do that:
Open up this link in your browser – https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx there you need to enter the name of the update you are trying to install which is like KB5027231 or KB5027223. Then click on search and then click on the link to download the update.
6. Use Media Creation Tool
Your last resort is to use the media creation tool to fix Win 11 update install error 0x80242fff.
– Open up the Windows 11 Media Creation tool website. Click on Download Now under Create Windows 11 Installation Media and then install it on the system.
– Once it is done, start the installation process again.
That’s everything you can try fixing Windows 11 update install error 0x80242fff.