Fix Valorant Not RespondingJune 16, 2020
If you face problems with Valorant such as game not responding or launching, the culprit in most cases is the GPU or the system not meeting the minimum requirements. Valorant not responding or launching can occur when the drivers are not updated for your dedicated graphics card. However, users also faced the issue after recently downloading a driver update. An updated driver can cause this issue due to instability. New drivers aren’t that well tested and can lead to additional problems.
As this problem is not related to the servers or the game code, there is not much that the developers can do. You have to correct the error from your end. Another cause of the error is if Valorant has less than the required CPU. Therefore, you should terminate all unnecessary programs that could be causing the game to crash.
The most effective fix for this problem is uninstall the game and Vanguard and clean install everything. To do this you have to perform certain commands in Command Prompt, which we will discuss later in the article.
So, that’s our take on the error Valorant not responding. Read further to try the fix.
Fix 1: Update Graphics Card Driver to Version 378.49
Although it’s a gamer’s modus operandi to keep the system up-to-date with the latest driver software. Sometimes new driver software can be unstable and cause problems like crash at startup, no launching, or the game not responding.
A user on Reddit suggested that the Nvidia driver 378.49 Win10 x64 fixed the issue for him and several other confirmed. So, this is the first fix you must try. Visit the official website and download this version of Nvidia graphics card driver. If that does not work and you have already tried the latest driver, I suggest you try the driver preceding the latest driver.
Fix 2: Uninstall and Reinstall Vanguard
If this has failed to resolve the problem and you still encounter Valorant not responding, then, uninstall and reinstall the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- In the Windows Search, type Control Panel
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program
- Locate Riot Vanguard, right-click, and select Uninstall
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Vanguard
- Now, launch the Valorant client and Vanguard will download automatically.
Fix 3: Terminate CPU Intensive Tasks
If other programs on the computer are consuming too much of CPU it can cause the game to crash or not launch. Hence, before you launch Valorant ensure all unnecessary tasks are closed. Here are the steps you can follow
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and select Task Manager from the list
- Locate applications taking more than 25% of CPU space and select the program. Click on End task.
Now, try running the game and check if the Valorant not responding problem still occurs.
Fix 3: Clean Install the Game and Vanguard
As a first step in the process, we need to stop Valorant and disable all functioning tasks from the Task Manager. Follow the above steps to go to the Task Manager and disable all Tasks related to the game.
- Now, uninstall the game and Vanguard. To uninstall, follow the same process discussed in the above fix.
- After you have uninstalled Valorant and Vanguard, press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type “cmd” and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Press Yes when prompted.
- Type ‘sc delete vgc’, and hit Enter.
- Type ‘sc delete vgk‘ and hit Enter. Close the Command Prompt. These commands will remove the services of the game.
- Now, Restart the PC and install the game once again.
This should fix the Valorant not responding problem with the game.