Valorant, developed by Riot Games, has quickly become one of the most popular tactical shooters in the gaming world. However, like any online game, Valorant can encounter technical issues that can frustrate players. One such issue is Error Code Van 81, which can disrupt your gaming experience. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the various steps you can take to fix Valorant Error Code van 81 and get back into the game.
How to fix Valorant Error Code van 81
Before we dive into the solutions, let’s understand what Error Code van 81 signifies and why it occurs. Valorant Error Code van 81 is often related to issues with Riot Vanguard (VGC), the game’s anti-cheat system. When VGC encounters problems during startup or operation, it can trigger this error code, preventing players from accessing Valorant.
Change VGC Startup Type
Riot Vanguard (VGC) is a crucial part of Valorant’s anti-cheat system. Ensuring it starts correctly can resolve Error Code van 81. Follow these steps:
- Press Win + R: To open the Run dialog, press the Windows key + R.
- Type “services.msc”: In the Run dialog, type “services.msc” and press Enter. This will open the Services window.
- Locate VGC Service: Scroll through the list of services and find “VGC Service.”
- Right-click and Select Properties: Right-click on “VGC Service” and choose “Properties.”
- Set Startup Type to Automatic: In the Properties window, go to the “Startup Type” dropdown menu and select “Automatic.”
- Apply and Restart: Click “Apply” and then “OK.” Reboot your device and try launching Valorant again.
Allow Valorant Through Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall can sometimes block Valorant’s connection, leading to Error Code van 81. To allow Valorant through the firewall, follow these steps:
- Type “firewall and network protection”: Press the Windows key, type “firewall and network protection,” and hit Enter.
- Choose “Allow an app through firewall”: In the Windows Defender Firewall settings, scroll down and select “Allow an app through firewall.”
- Click “Change settings”: Click the “Change settings” button to make changes.
- Add Valorant as an Exception: Click “Allow another app” and browse to locate the Riot Vanguard folder. The default location is usually “C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard.”
- Select VGC App: Choose the VGC app and click “Open” followed by “Add.”
- Enable Private and Public Access: Locate “Vanguard user-mode service” and check both “Private” and “Public” boxes.
Add an Exclusion from Windows Defender
If Windows Defender is causing conflicts with Valorant or Riot Vanguard, you can add an exclusion to resolve Error Code van 81. Here’s how:
- Press Win + I: Simultaneously press the Windows key and “I” to open Windows Settings.
- Go to Update & Security: Scroll down and locate “Update & Security.”
- Access Windows Security: In the Windows Security section, click “Virus & threat protection.”
- Manage Settings: Click “Manage settings” and scroll down to tap on “Add or remove exclusions.”
- Add an Exclusion: Click “Add an exclusion” and select “Folder” from the drop-down menu.
- Locate Riot Vanguard Folder: Browse to find the Riot Vanguard folder, select the entire folder, and click “Select Folder.”
Reinstall Valorant and Riot Vanguard
If the previous methods do not resolve Error Code van 81, it’s recommended to reinstall both Valorant and Riot Vanguard. Follow these steps:
- Search for Command Prompt: Type “cmd” in the search bar to locate Command Prompt.
- Run as Administrator: Right-click on Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator.”
- Execute Commands: Copy and paste the following commands one by one in the Command Prompt window, pressing Enter after each:arduinoCopy code
sc delete vgc sc delete vgk
- Reboot Your PC: After running the commands, reboot your computer.
- Delete Riot Vanguard: Navigate to the Riot Vanguard folder by pasting “C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard” into the navigation bar and pressing Enter. Right-click on Riot Vanguard and choose “Delete.”
- Uninstall Valorant: Go to Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Scroll down to find Valorant, click on it, and choose “Uninstall.” Confirm the action by clicking “Uninstall” again.
- Reinstall Valorant: Visit the official Riot Games Valorant website and reinstall the game.
By following these steps, you’ll be back in the game and ready to enjoy the thrilling world of Valorant without the hindrance of Error Code van 81.