Windows is a renowned operating system and it never fails to impress users with its latest updates. These new updates are packed with some greater features and improved performance. These new updates are important but sometimes they cause bugs on your PC. Recently, Microsoft has released KB5026361 and KB5026362 cumulative updates for versions 22H2, 21H2, 21H1, and 1809 to resolve issues and add new features to the OS. However, some users are unable to install these new versions on their Windows 10 system. If you are also experiencing the same issue, then this guide will help you to get rid of this problem.
How to Fix Update KB5026361 and KB5026362 Failed to Install on Windows 10
There are multiple methods you can try to fix update KB5026361 and KB5026362 failed to install on Windows 10 and this guide has covered all of them.
1. Restart Your PC
The very first and simple method you need to do is to simply restart your PC. If the problem occurs due to minor bugs, then it will be fixed simply by restarting your PC.
2. Run the Update Troubleshooter
If restarting the PC doesn’t resolve the issue, then try running the update troubleshooter.
– Open up Start menu >> Settings >> System >> Troubleshooter >> Other troubleshooters >> lastly select Windows Update.
– And then try to install the new update KB5026361 and KB5026362. You will be able to install and/or download them without any issues.
3. Use Media Creation Tool
Some users have resolved this issue by using a media creation tool. Here is how you can do it:
– Open up the Windows 10 Media Creation tool website. Click on Download Now under Create Windows 10 Installation Media and then install it on the system.
– Once it is done, start the installation process again.
4. Reset Windows Update Component
If the issue persists, don’t panic. We have some other methods to fix this issue.
– Copy all of the following commands and paste them into the “notepad”.
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
– Then go to file and click on “Save as” and then set the location on “Desktop”
– Name this file as Wufix.bat and select “Save as type” as “All files” and then click on “Save”
– Next, go to the desktop and right-click on this new file Wufix.bat and click on “Run as administrator”
– Click on “Yes” to allow
– Now the scan will start, and it may take some time. Wait until it’s done. The command window will be closed automatically and the update KB5026361 or KB5026362 not installing and downloading issues will be fixed.
5. Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder Files
The next recommended method to fix the update KB5026361 or KB5026362 failed to install on Windows 10 is to delete SoftwareDistribution folder files. To do this:
– Go to the Search box on your Windows and type Services
– Right-click on the Windows Update
– Now, select the Stop option and open the File Explorer
– Next, select C:\Windows >> SoftwareDistribution, remove the folder and retry to update your system
6. Use Microsoft Update Catalog
This is another effective solution to fix the said issue.
Open up this link in your browser – https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx there you need to enter the name of the update which is KB5026361 or KB5026362. Click on search and then click on the link to download the update.
That’s everything you can try to fix update KB5026361 and KB5026362 failed to install on Windows 10.
Read next: How to copy text from images in Windows 10.