Starfield, the highly anticipated space-faring RPG, has finally landed on the gaming scene. However, some Xbox Series X players are encountering a rather frustrating issue – the game fails to start or launch. Don’t worry; you’re not alone in this cosmic conundrum. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through various steps to troubleshoot and resolve the “Starfield not starting” issue on your Xbox Series X.
How to Fix Starfield Not Launching Issue on Xbox
Starfield has a huge audience and sometimes these issues are caused by technical issues in games. Here are some solutions to fix the Starfield not launching issue.
1. Un-Pack Starfield Game Files
Before delving into more complex solutions, let’s start with the basics. If you’re encountering difficulties launching Starfield on your Xbox Series X, it might be due to incomplete game files. Here’s how you can ensure all necessary files are downloaded and properly installed:
- First, ensure that your Xbox Series X has sufficient storage space. Starfield is a massive game, and it requires ample room to operate smoothly.
- The base game without the Day One patch demands approximately 116.27GB of storage. Ensure your Xbox Series X has enough space, ideally around 140GB or more, to accommodate the game’s files comfortably.
- If you have recently installed Starfield and it’s not starting, it’s possible that additional files need to be extracted through Steam Downloads. To resolve this, you should:a. Access your Steam library and locate Starfield. b. Right-click on Starfield and select “Properties.” c. Navigate to the “Local Files” tab. d. Click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”Steam will then check your game files and download any missing or corrupted data, potentially resolving the launch issue.
2. Power Cycling on Xbox Series X
If verifying game files doesn’t solve the problem, you can attempt a power cycling procedure to refresh your Xbox Series X. Here’s how you can do it:
- Completely power off your Xbox Series X by holding down the power button until it turns off or selecting the “Turn off console” option from the guide menu.
- Once the console is powered down, unplug the power cord from both the console and the wall outlet.
- Leave the console unplugged for at least 2 to 5 minutes to ensure that it completely discharges any residual power.
- After the waiting period, plug the power cord back into the console and the wall outlet.
- Power on your Xbox Series X and check if Starfield launches successfully.
3. Update Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can sometimes lead to compatibility issues with games, including Starfield. Ensuring you have the latest graphics drivers installed can potentially resolve the problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to the official website of your graphics card manufacturer (e.g., NVIDIA or AMD).
- Search for the latest drivers for your specific graphics card model and download them.
- Install the downloaded graphics drivers, following the provided instructions.
- Restart your Xbox Series X after the installation is complete.
4. Relaunch Starfield
After performing the previous steps, attempt to relaunch Starfield. If the game still refuses to start, proceed to the next troubleshooting steps.
5. Reinstall the DLC
If you have any downloadable content (DLC) installed for Starfield, it’s possible that a conflict with the DLC is preventing the game from starting. To resolve this, you can try reinstalling the DLC:
- Navigate to the “My games & apps” section on your Xbox Series X.
- Locate Starfield and highlight it.
- Press the “Menu” button on your controller (the button with three horizontal lines) and select “Manage game & add-ons.”
- Find the DLC in question and uninstall it.
- Restart your Xbox Series X.
- Reinstall the DLC from the Xbox Store or your game library.
- Attempt to launch Starfield again.
By following these steps, you should be well on your way to resolving the frustrating “Starfield not starting” issue on your Xbox Series X.