A few days back, Rocket League came out of Game Pass and has become a free-to-play game. Since then, the game has seen a massive surge in players and problems with the game. PC and Xbox players have reported that they are unable to launch the game. Fortunately, there are a number of solutions you can try if you are encountering trouble launching the game. Stick around and we will help you fix Rocket League not launching and crash at startup.
Fix Rocket League Not Launching and Crash at Startup
Here are some of the solutions you can try if you are playing the game on Steam.
Fix 1: Run the Game and Launcher with Admin Permission
Go to the destination folder of Rocket League and provide administrator permission. You have to do the same for the launcher you are using to play the game such as Steam. The process is quite simple really. Just locate the .exe file of the respective program > right-click > Properties > Compatibility > check Run this program as an administrator.
Fix 2: Terminate Unnecessary Applications
With so many games, third-party software that forcefully inject themselves between operations cause crash in the game. Hence, the first thing we must do to resolve the Rocket League crashing on PC or failed to launch error is suspend all unnecessary programs and then launch the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- In General tab, uncheck Load startup items
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Click on Apply and OK.
Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
Fix 3: Update the Graphics Card Drivers
Although an outdated graphics card driver causes the most crashes, it’s a gamer’s modus operandi to keep all drivers and software updated on the system. This includes the OS, audio drivers, motherboards, processors, etc.
So, first update the graphics card drivers and check if the game crashes. Nvidia recently released Game Ready Driver that extends support for several new games. Here are the link to both Nvidia and AMD drivers you need.
Select your OS and other specs and download and install the software. If the problem persists, update everything from OS to audio drivers and check again.
Fix 4: Clear Windows Temporary Files
Sometimes temporary files can become corrupted. These files are used by the game for better performance, but corruption can cause the game to crash. Delete these files and allow the game to download new files. This can potentially resolve the error. Here are the steps to delete temp files form your OS.
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing on Windows Key + R
- Type %temp% in the field and hit Enter
- Press Ctrl + A and hit Delete (if you cannot delete some files, let them be and close the Window)
Fix 5: Disable Steam Overlay
Lately Steam Overlay has come under a lot of criticism for crashing games. Hence, let’s disable the overlay in an attempt to fix the Rocket League not launching and crash problem.
- Launch Steam client
- Click on Library and right-click on Rocket League
- Select Properties and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Close Steam and check if the in-game crash or Rocket League crash at startup still occurs.
Fix 6: Repair Game Files
If a game is corrupted or some of its files are missing it will most definitely crash. It could be at the start of the game or in mid-game. The Steam Launcher provide you the option to scan and repair missing or corrupted game files. Here are the steps.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Rocket League and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Once the process completes, try playing the game and check if the Rocket League crashing on PC or failed to launch problem still exists.
Fix 7: Set Exclusion on Windows Firewall or Other Antivirus
More often than not, the Windows Firewall or the antivirus on your system blocks some functions of the game which leads to a crash. You need to allow the game to bypass the security software. You can do it by setting an exclusion for the game on the software. Here are the steps.
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security and select Firewall & network protection
- Click on Allow an app through firewall
- Locate Rocket League and tick both Private and Public
- Save the changes.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
Once you have excluded the game files from the security software rules, repeat the Fix 6 and repair the game files before launching.
We hope the post has helped to resolve your Rocket League crashing or failed to launch problem. If the problem still persists, you would want to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables from 2015 to 2019. Install both the x86 and x64 versions.