Users have been facing the Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 whenever they attempt to connect to the game servers. After the last update, the game seems to be secured further with the introduction of a new error code 0X40003002 that’s preventing players from getting online. Regardless of the error, most of these network issues have a common problem. However, before you proceed to try any fix the first step is to check the Service Status of RDO. If the indicator for your device is green, the problem is possibly local and you must fix it. We have a range of fix you can try for the 0x20010004 & 0x20010005 error, as well as other errors such as 0x21002001 and 0x20010006.
We will start with the easiest fix to start and move towards the difficult ones. For Xbox and PC users, port forwarding seems to be the most working fix for server problems with the game. We will detail this fix the last.
Fix Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005
Here are all the fix you can try to resolve the error. Before you proceed, we suggest that you get the help of your internet service provider for port forwarding. Advanced users can do it on their own.
Fix 1: Restart the Device
Although very few users have resolved their error with the restart the device, it’s always recommended as more often than not the magic of restart and fix a lot of errors in games. It flushes bad configuration, data pileup, and reinitializes the device, which can potentially fix the Red Dead Online error code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005.
Fix 2: Check Your Connection
You need a minimum of 1 Mbps upload speed and 5 Mbps download speed to play the game steadily without getting disconnected. Check that you internet connection meets the recommendation. Additionally, suspend any bandwidth intensive tasks while the game is on such as video streaming, downloading, P2P file sharing, etc. Ensure it’s not a public network, meaning you are the only one using the bandwidth allocation. You should also be using a cable internet rather than Wi-Fi. So, basically, ensure it’s not your internet that’s the problem.
Try to play the game using a different connection such as try switching to your mobile network. Sometimes, the configuration on the ISP end can prevent you from accessing certain servers. Hence, changing the internet connection may help.
Fix 3: Clear Cache
Caches are temporary files stored on the Xbox or PlayStation that allows better performance while playing a game. These files can often become corrupted and can cause connection errors. By deleting the cache, you allow the device to download the files again. Here are the steps.
Clear Cache in PS4
- Turn-off the Console normally.
- Remove all the power-cords after the console has completely powered down.
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds or let the console rest for 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cords and restart the PS4.
- Hold the L1 + R1 buttons while the PS4 is booting.
This will not only clear the PS4 cache but also reset the brightness and language.
Clear Cache in Xbox One
- Press and hold the power button on Xbox One to turn it off.
- Dethatch the power brick and press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Do it a few times to reinitialize and clear cache from the device.
- Connect the power brick back to the console
- Wait for the light to turn orange in the power brick.
- Turn on the Xbox One normally.
Once you have done this, restart the console to check if the Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005 still appears.
Fix 4: Change Domain Name Servers (DNS)
Changing your domain name servers to free Google DNS – Google public DNS 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 can potentially resolve the server error in Red Dead Online. Here are the steps you can follow.
For Xbox One
- On the controller, press the Guide button.
- Select All Settings > Network > Network settings > Advanced settings > DNS Settings > Manual.
- Input the Google DNS address in both the primary and secondary fields and restart the console.
- Open the PlayStation and head to the main Menu and go to Settings.
- Select Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > Custom.
- Select LAN for cable and Wi-Fi for Wireless depending on the type of connection you are using for the
- Next, select Custom and change the IP Address Settings to Automatic; Do not specify for DHCP host name; manual for DNS settings, and enter the primary and secondary DNS – 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 – ; Automatic for MTU settings; and Do not use for Proxy server.
- Save and Restart the PlayStation 4.
- Play the game and check if the Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005 still appears.
- Press Windows Key + I and select Network and Internet
- Click on Change adapter options
- Right-click on your Network Connection and select Properties
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Click on Properties
- Check Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type in the primary and secondary Google DNS
- Save the changes and exit.
Fix 5: Change NAT Type to Open (For Advanced Users)
To change the NAT type you have to forward ports. But, before that check if your NAT type is Open or not. If it isn’t only then proceed with the steps.
For PS4 users, the steps to check NAT type – Settings > Network > View Connection Status
For Xbox users, the steps to check NAT type – Settings > Network >
If you have the necessary permissions, let’s proceed to port forwarding, but first we have to assign static IP for the Xbox and PlayStation.
Before assigning the static IP address, we need to find the IP address of your device. Let’s find and note down the IP address.
For Xbox One Users
- Push the menu button on the Xbox
- Go to Settings > Network > Advanced Settings
- Navigate to IP Address section and note down the IP Address and the MAC address.
For PlayStation Users
- Start the PlayStation 4 Console.
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Network > View Connection Status.
- Locate the IP address and MAC address and note it down.
Now that you have your IP address and the Mac address, we can set the static IP. Follow these steps to set the static IP.
- Open any browser and enter the Default Gateway number (IP address) provided by the ISP and log-in using your username and password.
- Navigate to settings and activate Enable Manual Assignment option. Under the Manual Assignment option, add the IP address and the MAC address of your console and click add.
- Remember though, the name and the settings can vary from one router to the other so you might have to do a little searching to find the exact options. Type the name of your router + set static IP and you should find some helpful articles on Google.
Having set the static IP, we can now proceed to port forwarding.
- While still logged into the Default Gateway number, find the port forwarding section. If this option does not appear in settings, try the advanced settings. Have the help page of the router manufacturer open for support on terminology and steps to find port forwarding.
- Now that you have entered port forwarding, you have to enter the range of the ports you want to open in Start and End or Internal and External. For Red Dead Online the port ranges are:-
PlayStation 4 Ports to Open
- TCP: 465,983,1935,3478-3480,10070-10080,30211-30217
- UDP: 3074,3478-3479,6672,61455-61458
Xbox One Ports to Open
- TCP: 3074,30211-30217
- UDP: 88,500,3047,3074,3544,4500,6672,61455-61458
Steam Ports to Open
- TCP: 27015-27030,27036-27037,30211-30217
- UDP: 4380,6672,27000-27031,27036,61455-61458
PC Ports to Forward
- TCP: 30211-30217
- UDP: 6672,61455-61458
Remember of fill the exact protocol – TCP or UDP under the Type of Service Type option. As there is option to open one port range at a time, do this multiple times until you add all the port ranges.
The next step is to enter the static IP we created for the console and click enable or ok. Restart the console and router for the settings to apply.
Check if the Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005 has been resolved.
That’s all we have in this guide, we hope your problem is fixed. If you have a more effective solution feel free to comment and share with others.
Fix 6: Reset the Network Hardware
Reinitializing or resetting the router flushes out any old configuration that might be hampering the internet connectivity. The process is quite simple really. But, you would be surprised how effective it can be to resolve network connectivity problems. If I had a dime for every time this worked in resolving errors. To perform the process, disconnect power cord from the router/modem. Press and hold the power button on the device. Connect the power cord and restart normally. Wait for the device to start fully and connect to the system. Now try playing the game and check if the Red Dead Online Error Code 0x20010004 & 0x20010005 occurs.
Fix 7: Play Story Mode
We have to thank a Reddit user for this fix.