Among all the games released in recent times, the crash at startup has been the most common problem and Ori And The Will Of The Wisps is no exception. Ever since the game released, users have been reporting crash, black screen, and the game not working or starting. All these problems have a common cause in most situations. Sometimes it due to outdated software on your computer, other times it can be due to lack of permissions, your Firewall, corrupted DirectX or game files, and third-party software such as Overlay applications.
FPS drops and stuttering often occurs when your system does not meet the minimum recommendations of hardware for running the game. But, it can happen when your system complies as well. The best solution for such problems is to run the game on default settings and if the problem still occurs, try tuning down some settings from the Nvidia control panel. If the Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Crash At Startup, FPS Drop, and Stuttering problems still persist, you can follow our suggested fixes.
Fix 1: Edit Values from Registry to Fix FPS Drop and Stuttering in Ori And The Will Of The Wisps
This fix will not just resolve your FPS drop, lag, and stuttering with Ori And The Will Of The Wisps, but with all other games and applications. However, before you proceed do take a backup of the registry. Here are the steps:
- Type Regedit in the Windows Search tab and select Run as administrator
- Click on Files > Export. Name the backup and save it at your desired location
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > System > GameConfigStore
- From the right panel, double-click on GameDVR_Enabled
- Set the Value data to 0, Base as Hexadecimal and click OK
- Next, double-click on GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode
- Set the Value data as 2 and Base as Hexadecimal and click OK
- Go back and expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > PolicyManager > default > ApplicationManagement > AllowGameDVR
- From the right panel, double-click on value
- Delete 1 and set it to 0, click Ok and restart your computer.
Here is a video tutorial to help you with the process.
Resolve Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Crash At Startup
Fix 1: Verify Integrity of Game Files
The first fix you must try that fixes the black screen, not launching, and crash at startup is to verify the integrity of game files on Steam. This fix detects any corruption with the game files and replaces it a new copy of the file. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Ori And The Will Of The Wisps and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Fix 2: Update Graphics Card Drivers
If you use GeForce experience, you can directly install the update from the software. Or, you can manually download the graphics card driver from the official website of respective manufacturers. After you have downloaded the copy, double-click and follow the onscreen instructions to install the software. You can also completely uninstall the driver using any third-party tool and install the new updated driver fresh.
Fix 3: Disable Steam Overlay
Disabling the Steam Overlay has resolved this error for a lot of users. You can disable it for specific games or for all games. We will show you how to disable Steam Overlay using the global settings disabling Overlay for all games. Here is how you can disable the Overlay for all games and fix Ori And The Will Of The Wisps errors “Game Not Launching” Or “Crash at Startup”.
- From the Steam client Home Screen, click on Steam
- Click on Settings and select the In-Game from the menu
- Uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now, try launching the game.
Fix 4: Reinstall DirectX
As discussed, if the xinput1_3.dll File is missing or hidden it can also lead to the errors “Game Not Launching” Or “Crash at Startup”. You can resolve this issue by reinstalling the DirectX. To do this, create a system restore, uninstall the current DirectX, download the latest DirectX from the official website, and install it.
Fix 5: Set Exclusion on Virus and Threat Protection / Antivirus
As this problem can also be caused due to your system malware protection detecting Ori And The Will Of The Wisps .exe as a malware, placing an exception on the Ori And The Will Of The Wisps folder can solve the errors “Game Not Launching” Or “Crash at Startup” error. Here are the steps to follow.
Windows Virus and Threat Protection
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update and Security
- Go to Windows Security and click on Virus & threat protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Scroll down to locate Exclusions, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Follow the on-screen instructions and add exclusion to Ori And The Will Of The Wisps folder installed on your PC.
Kaspersky Internet Security
Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add
Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception
Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion
Fix 6: Disable or Remove GeForce Experience / MSI Afterburner
Sometimes the third-party software can tune the GPU settings that does not pair with the game leading to the error. By simply disabling the software, you can resolve the errors. You can uninstall the programs to disable them or simply disable them from the Task Manager. Disable the programs via any method that suits you. Once done, try playing the game and check if the error still appears.
Fix 7: Updating the Windows OS
If you are playing the game from Windows 7, the most probable cause of the problem is an outdated OS, you need to install the latest update for Win 7 – update KB3080149 or newer.
Often times, when the OS is outdated, it can cause problems with new games as new titles are designed for the updated version of the OS. Hence, update the Windows 10 OS to fix the problem.
You can do this via the Update application on your windows, search for update and the latest update should appear. Install them all.
Fix 8: Provide the Game Admin Privileges
The Ori And The Will Of The Wisps “Game Not Launching” Or “Crash at Startup” can be caused when the game does not have admin permission. By providing the game admin privilege you can resolve the error. Here are the steps:
- Locate the game executable
- Right-click and select Properties
- Go to Compatibility tab and check the box that reads Run this program as an administrator
- Save the changes.
We hope by now you would have resolved the crash on startup or not launching error. Let us know in the comments what worked for you.