Call of Duty (CoD) offers some great FPS games to its fans. With recent Modern Warfare 2, the CoD has taken the multiplayer game to the next level. But unfortunately, like other massive titles, this game also has a few bugs and issues such as crashing, crash at startup, won’t start, and much more.
In addition to these issues, many players are running into an error code 0x887a0005. This error code appears with the message – “The application has unexpectedly stopped working”. When this error appears, players are unable to launch the game. It has been noticed that the error code 0x887a0005 is troubling only to PC players and there could be multiple reasons behind this issue. Worry not and check out this guide as we have gathered all potential solutions to fix error code 0x887a0005 in Modern Warfare 2.
Fixing Modern Warfare 2 Error Code 0x887a0005
It can be frustrating when you have managed your time to enjoy a game like MW 2 and an error like 0x887a0005 restricts you from launching the game. Thankfully, you can try the following workarounds to get rid of this error code.
Before you jump onto the following workarounds, make sure to:
1. Restart your PC as well as the game once
2. Update the game to the latest version
If you have already gone through these basic things and still the error appears, here are the potential solutions to try.
Verify the Integrity of Game Files
Any missing or corrupted game files can sometimes cause this kind of error to occur in Modern Warfare 2. So, the first solution we suggest is to verify the integrity of game files. To do so:
– Go to Steam Library
– Right-click on Modern Warfare 2 and click on Properties
– In a newly opened dialogue box, select Local Files
– And click on Verify the Integrity of game files
– Once done, launch the game again and the error code should be gone
Open the Game in Administrator Mode
This should be your next method to resolve error code 0x887a0005 in MW2. Here are the steps to run the game in administrator mode.
– Go to the game folder on your PC
– Right-click on the folder and click on ‘Properties’
– Click on ‘Compatibility’
– Check the box ‘Run this software as administrator
– Click on ‘Apply’
– Run the game again and the issue should be resolved
Roll Back the Drivers of the PC
– Go to the Windows search bar and type in ‘Device Manager’
– From the list, find out the Display adapters and click on it
– Select your GPU and double click on it.
– Next, select driver which will be next to the General tab
– Lastly, select ‘Roll Back Driver’ and once done, launch the game and check if that makes any difference
That’s everything you can do to fix Modern Warfare 2 error code 0x887a0005.
New Fixes for Warzone 2 and MW2 Error Code 0x887a0005
If the above fixes failed to resolve your problems with the game, especially the crashing issue with error 0x887a005, here are some new fixes you can try (updated on the 12th Dec).
- Update the GPU driver: While this fix will not work for everyone as that’s the first thing any user tries, the officials on Twitter came out and said that most of the issues with MW2 and Warzone 2 crashing can be resolved by updating the GPU driver to the version NVIDIA: 526.86 and AMD: 22.9.1 or newer. So, try that fix first.
2. Turn Off Parallax: You can find this setting in the Interface section of the game’s settings. Turning it off seems to help users avoid the crash. To fix these errors, there are multiple things you need to try. Make sure to follow the 3rd fix before checking if the solution worked.
3. Delete the xpak_cache and sp22 folders: You should be able to find these files in the game’s retail or data folder. If you have the game on Battle.net, then look for just the sp22 file. Delete these two and attempt to play the game.
4. Try forcing the game to start in DirectX 11: You can force the game to start in DirectX 11 by entering the -D3D11 in the launch option for both the Steam and Battle.Net.
5. Cap the FPS at 90 or below: A lot of players have reported that capping the FPS to below 90 helped fix or reduce the number of crashes. While, you are at it, try to switch between the different display modes. There is no guaranteed fix with the display mode. For some, the Windowed Mode works, while the Fullscreen for others. So, test both.
6. Turn of DLSS: While turning off the DLSS may not do anything for you if you are unlucky. A large number of players have reduced the amount of crash after they turned off the DLSS.
More fixes coming to the post in the next 24 hours.