The Marvel’s Avengers ‘Failed to join session’ error prevents players from joining multiplayer missions and returns to the main menu. This is frustrating because the main attraction of the Avengers game is to peruse foes in a pack. With the matchmaking mechanism not working, you cannot team up with friends or other players. Fortunately though, there is a workaround and some fix you can try to possibly resolve the error. Stick around the post and we will help you fix the Marvel’s Avengers failed to join session error.
Marvel’s Avengers | How to Fix ‘Failed to Join Session’ Error
Given the large number of players that are encountering this error, it hints that it is a server or game side glitch. Numerous players have reported the problem on Reddit. While, we will have to wait for the developers to address the problem permanently, the failed to join session can be fixed if you skip the matchmaking initially when you launch the game.
Unless you have altered the settings, the matchmaking process happens automatically in the game. You have to go to the Gameplay tab from the main settings and disable matchmaking, which is the third option. Now that you have disabled matchmaking, select the game you want to play and then enable matchmaking again.
Although this is not a permanent or guaranteed fix, some users seem to bypass the error with this simple tweak that is if the problem is not caused by an internet connectivity problem.
Even before you attempt to troubleshoot the internet, you should reboot the game by closing it completely and relaunching it. If the error still occurs, here are some connectivity best practices when playing online games.
- Switch to a wired internet connection such as Powerline, Ethernet Cable, or MoCA. Using Wi-Fi or mobile hotspot can be the cause of several errors in games.
- For Console Players, clear the cache if you are on Xbox and PS4 players hard reset the console. Users on PC, reboot the system and try playing the game.
- Reset the internet router or modem
- Cable connections, fiber, and DSL offer the best gaming experience. On the other hand, internet service providers such as satellite, wireless, and cellular are less reliable for online gaming.
- If a wired internet connection is not an option, consider:
- Changing the channel on your wireless router; ideally, the one that is used the least.
- Try shifting from 2.4GHz to 5GHz or vice versa.
- Ensure that the router is placed closer to the console or PC and not blocked by a wall or other obstacles that can block the Wi-Fi signal.
- Adjust the router’s antennae.
- Change your network connection. Try using a different internet connection. If you are using Wi-Fi, try playing the game through your mobile internet.
- Do not use other devices on the same network such as tablets, cell phones, etc. while playing Marvel’s Avengers.
- Terminate bandwidth-intensive tasks such as Netflix, YouTube, or other video streaming services, file transfer (torrents), etc.
- Ensure you are using the latest hardware and firmware. Get in touch with your ISP and ensure the network equipment such as modems, cables, routers, switches, etc. are all up-to-date and working as intended.
- Ensure your NAT type is Open.
- Call the ISP for help with the problem.
If you are sure that your internet connection is fairly stable and there is nothing wrong with your connection and the Marvel’s Avengers ‘Failed to Join Session’ Error is persistent, you can contact Square Enix Support by following the link. They should be able to provide you with a resolution.