Grand Theft Auto V or more popular as GTA 5 was released back in 2013 but still this game has millions of players around the world. Developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, it is all set in the fictional city of Los Santos. However, the game has encountered various bugs and errors such as script hook V critical error, error code 0xc00007b, and stuttering issues after a new update, among others. Such issues impact the overall gameplay experience for gamers. Recently, many players reported that they are running into an “Activision required” error while playing GTA 5. If you are receiving the same error message, then you should not miss to check out this guide and learn how you can fix GTA 5 error “Activation required” error.
How to Fix GTA 5 Error Activation Required Error
In GTA 5, the Activation required error comes with different error messages:
– “Social Club failed to initialize.”
– “Social Club failed to load due to an incomplete installation. Please exit the game and re-install the latest version of the Social Club.”
– “A newer version of Social Club is required. The updater may have failed. Please exit the game and install the latest version of the Social Club.”
– “Activation Required. Verifying game ownership failed and your offline activation data could not be loaded.”
Thankfully, Rockstar Games has provided some troubleshooting steps to eliminate the “Activation required” error in GTA 5.
1. Relaunch the game
First of all, simply relaunch your game and check if the error is fixed. If that is occurring due to a minor glitch, it will be fixed simply by restarting the game.
2. Update the Game
Make sure your game is up-to-date and it is running on the latest version. If it is outdated, you may experience multiple issues including the “Activation required” error. So, simply update it and then check if this trick worked.
3. Entering Rockstar Activation Code Manually
In case it has some issues with the activation code you’ve entered; you might encounter this error. So, try entering the code manually in GTA 5. Here are the steps:
– Click on this link. Then download and install the Rockstar Games Launcher
– Then open up the Rockstar Games Social Club account and sign into it
– Click on your profile or avatar on the top right side
– Select “Redeem Code” and enter the activation code manually
– Once verified and checked, select “Redeem” and then relaunch the game
4. Use a VPN Service
If the error still persists, you can try using a different IP address with the help of VPN service and then check if the error is resolved.
5. Edit the Commandline.txt File in the Game’s Root Folder
In this method, we are going to change the edit commandline.txt file in the GTA 5’s root folder.
– Go to C >> Program Files >> Epic Games >> GTAV or C >> Program Files >> Steam >> steamapps >> common >> GTA V to find your GTA V root folder
– Search for the file ‘commandline.txt’
– Notepad used to open the commandline.txt file
– ‘-scOnlineOnly’ a string that should be added to the text file
– Save the text file to your computer
– Once the process is done, relaunch the game and the error should be eliminated
6. Check Your Internet Connection
If that doesn’t work too, make sure your internet connection is fast and stable because a poor and unstable connection can cause multiple issues and errors including the “Activation required” error. To troubleshoot your internet connection, you can try resetting your router/modem or try switching your connection from WiFi to Wired as a wired connection provides a more stable and reliable connection.
That’s all for this guide. Hopefully, one of these methods will help you to fix GTA 5 error activation required error code.
Read more: How to check what GTA 5 version you have.