GTA 5 application error code 0xc0000142 is one of the nastiest errors in GTA. The error occurs when launching the game with the message “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.” This is not a GTA 5 problem, but other popular games like Far Cry 3 & 4, Call of duty Advanced Warfare, Witcher 3, Watch dogs, and even Outlook is infected by the same error. The cause of the error is missing DLL files. As such the fix for the problem is easy and straight forward. Stick around and we will help you resolve the GTA 5 error.
Fix GTA 5 Application Error 0xc0000142
We have to thank a YouTube channel Tech IN Mumbai for the first fix for the GTA 5 Application Error 0xc0000142. To perform the fix visit this website link. From the website, click on the Download link and your download should begin immediately.
Once the file is downloaded, extract it and open the file. Copy all the content of GTAV _ FIX and paste it in the install location of GTA 5. To find the location, click on the desktop shortcut of the game and select Open file location.
If the error is still not fixed, run GTA 5 with admin permission. Without the admin permission, certain functions of the game may not be allowed by the OS, which can lead to the error. Here are the steps to provide admin permission.
- Right-click on the desktop shortcut of the game and select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program as an administrator
- Save the changes and exit.
Reboot the computer and check if the error still occurs.
If the error still persists, let’s try and repair any corrupt or missing DLL files with the help of the SFC command on Windows. To perform the process, you need to have admin rights on the computer and be able to launch Command Prompt in admin mode. Here are the steps.
- Press Windows Key + R and type cmd
- Press Shift + Ctrl + Enter simultaneously (when prompted hit ok)
- In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter
Wait for the process to complete and check if the GTA 5 Application Error 0xc0000142 still occurs.
Additionally, you need to ensure that your graphics card driver software and Windows OS is updated to the latest built. Recently the Windows May Update or the 2004 update came out, so you need to get that for your PC. It has an improved version of DirectX 12.
Finally, if the “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) is still occurring, then, reset the value of LoadAppInit_DLLs in Registry. Here are the steps to perform the process.
- Press Windows Key + R and type regedit, when prompted select Yes
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion \Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs
- Double-click on LoadAppInit_DLLs and set the value to 0, Base to Hexadecimal, and click OK
- Reboot the system.
Once you have performed the above steps, launch the game and check if the GTA 5 Application Error 0xc0000142 still occurs.