Godfall offers an action-packed melee combat looter-slasher unlike any we have seen this year. If we were to compare Godfall to any other game, Infinity Blade comes closer, but the bright and vibrant environments of Godfall makes it visually more appealing. Besides, the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Godfall is another title we have been most excited about. But, early players both on mid-range and high-range PC are complaining of problems with the game. One of the most common is the Godfall crash at startup, stuck at the loading screen, or the game simply not launching.
Stick around with this post and we will help you resolve all the launch problems with the game. At the time, we have limited info the post covers the general causes that can cause crash. At a later date, we will either update this post or release new ones with specific solutions to the different launch problems in the game. Scroll down for more.
Fix Godfall Crash At Startup, Stuck On Loading Screen, & Not Launching
Before, we head to the solutions, here are some of the major causes that lead a game to crash to desktop or fail to start.
- With such a visually vibrant game, there comes the burned on system specification. So, ensure that your system meets the recommendations to play the game. Refer to the image below to check the system specs.
- At a later date post release, ensure that you have the latest patch of the game installed.
- You should have the latest graphics card driver and update the operating system software.
- You have the latest Microsoft Redistributable Libraries.
- Game is installed correctly and there is no corruption. Use the Verify features on the Epic Games Store.
- Running the game on fullscreen consumes more resources, so disable the mode. It works the other way around also. So, change whichever settings you have and see if it impacts the Godfall crash at startup, stuck on loading screen, & not launching.
- Overlays and DirectX hooking software can also lead to crash in games. Below we have discussed the software that may be responsible for the crash at startup.
- You should also ensure that the game folder is whitelisted in your Windows Defender or the antivirus software.
- An error with the HDD or SSD can also cause the game to crash.
Here are the system specifications to play the game.
Update the Graphics Card
The first thing you must do before launching the game on your PC is to update the graphics card. Nvidia recently launched the new Game Ready Driver with day-one support for Godfall and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Use the above link to download the software and perform a clean install. For users on AMD cards, you should also check for the latest driver. Outdated driver is the single most critical reason for most games crashing at startup.
Play Godfall on Lower Settings
If you don’t meet any of the system recommendations to play the game, it’s the reason why the game is crashing. As such your only hope is to play the game at the lowest settings available and hope that the game launches. Players who meet the system specifications can also try lowering the settings and increasing the settings one at a time. After we have tested the game, we will share the specific settings that could be causing the Godfall crash at startup or not launching problem. But, for now, try to lower the settings.
Verify Game via Epic Games Store
If the game is corrupted during the install process, which occurs more often than you imagine, it can lead to the game crashing. Most modern-day launchers provide a simple and quick process to verify game files and download the corrupted files again. Here is how you do it on the Epic Launcher. Launch the Epic Games store > go to Library > Godfall > click on 3 dots near the title and select Verify.
Enable/Disable Fullscreen Mode
The fullscreen mode in Godfall can work both ways. Sometimes enabling it can cause the crash, while other times when you disable it, it can reduce stutter and crash in the game. So, if you are playing the game on windowed borderless change to fullscreen, or if you are on windowed borderless change to fullscreen. However, if you are unable to get to the Godfall menu, you may not be able to do it from the game. Hence, force the fullscreen mode using the additional command line arguments. Here is how to you do it.
Launch Epic Games Store > Settings > Manage Games > Expand Godfall > check Additional Command Line Arguments > type -windowed > go back to Library > Launch the game.
Disable Overlay and DirectX Hooking Software
Overlays cause problems when the game attempts to render UI and 3D environments, or load content. DirectX hooking software can also cause the game to crash, so you need to disable these software before you launch the game. Discord, and GeForce Experience Overlay are few that we all use on our system. You need to disable them. Software such as MSI Afterburner and others must be disabled as well. The next fix is great at disabling all programs and launching the game, so try that.
Terminate Unnecessary Applications and Perform Clean Boot
With so many games, third-party software that forcefully inject themselves between operations cause crash in the game. Hence, the first thing we must do to resolve the Godfall crashing on startup or failed to launch error is suspend all unnecessary programs and then launch the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system.
Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
Whitelist Epic Games and Godfall on Antivirus Software
If either the launch or the game is blocked by the antivirus software, it can lead to the game crashing at startup. Hence, you must provide exclusion or whitelist the programs on your respective antivirus software. Here are the steps for various software.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
Windows Key + I > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Manage settings > Exclusions > Add or remove exclusions > Add an exclusion.
Kaspersky Internet Security
Home > Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Exclusions > Specify Trusted Applications > Add.
Home >> Settings > Components > Web Shield > Exceptions > Set the exception.
Home > Settings > General > Exclusions > Set the exclusion.
Installing Latest Microsoft Visual C++
Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl, hit Enter
- Locate Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Right-click on it and select Uninstall
- Download and install both the x86 and x64 versions
- Restart the system.
Remove Bad Sectors from the HHD or SSD
If you have bad sectors on your HDD, it could also be causing the crash. Although you could correct the corruption in the file system via CHKDSK on Command Prompt, here is a simple alternative.
- Right-click on drive or the partition where you have installed the game and the launcher.
- Select Properties and go to Tools
- Click on Check and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Try playing the game.
- After the process completes, the window will auto-exit.
Now, try playing the game and check if Godfall crashing at startup still happens. If it does, we will update this post in a few days after launch, so watch the post.