God of War is an iconic PS4 title coming to PC via Steam. It’s a dream come true for so many PC players to finally have their hands on a PC port of the game, nearly 4 years after the PS4 counterparts got to play. PS ports have always had problems when launching on PC due to the huge number of variables that can cause issues on the device. God of War is about to release and we have tried to list all the issues that can result in God of War crashing on startup on PC, not launching, or won’t start.
This guide is a work-in-progress and we will update it with new solutions as they become available to us and we are able to play the game ourselves. Here are the things you need to check if the game is failing to launch or it’s crashing at startup.
God of War Won’t Start, Crashing on Startup, and Not Launching Fix
Before you proceed with the solutions, the first thing is to check that your system meets the requirements to play the game. Quite often, the cause of a game crashing is due to the fact that the computer does not meet the requirements to play the game. But, if that’s not the concern and your game still crashes at startup or mid-game, here are some things you can try.
The first thing we suggest that you do is launch the game in a clean boot environment. Note: you need to follow the steps exactly as mentioned and not disable the Microsoft services. What the clean boot environment does is it disables all third-party applications, which may be the cause of the crash either due to interference or consuming too many resources. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system.
Read Next: How to Get Hacksilver Fast in God of War
If the clean boot environment did not help, here are a bunch of things you can try to fix the God of War won’t start, crashing on startup, and not launching issues.
- Update the graphics card driver
- Disable the Steam Overlay and GeForce Experience Overly
- Verify Integrity of game files on Steam or Verify game files on Epic
- Ensure the launcher and game has administrative privilege
- Whitelist the game on your antivirus software
- If you are able to launch the game and the crash happens after, try to lower the settings of the game and play in Windowed mode.
- If you are crashing with the error Not Enough Available Memory, ensure that you have disabled the integrated GPU, which may be the intel one. The game may be crashing as it’s not using the dedicated GPU.
These are the solutions we suggest that the time, but we will update the post in the next 24 hours once the game releases.