A sandbox game initially released in 2004, Garry’s Mod has been around for a while. You can find the game on Steam. Recently, users have been experiencing an old error dating back years and quite common with Garry’s Mod – the Engine Error “Couldn’t Load Library ‘gmod audio.’” If you have encountered this error, the work around is pretty simple and straight forward. First, you need to repair the game and if that does not work, set exception for the game on Windows Firewall.
Let’s proceed with the fixes,
Fix 1: Verify Integrity of Game Files
The Garry’s Mod Engine Error occurs when there is something wrong with the game folder. This happens when you have recently installed the game or updated with a new patch. The issue can effectively fixed by using the function of Steam that repairs corrupted or missing game files. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Garry’s Mod and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Allow the process to complete which can take some time. Once it’s complete, Steam will download any missing or corrupted files. Then, you can launch the game and the engine error will be fixed.
Fix 2: Set Exclusion on Windows Defender/Antivirus
Windows Defender is an application on all the recent version of Windows. It’s a program that blocks malicious programs from functioning. Basically, it’s a software that protects your computer from malware and other harmful programs. Every once in a while, the Windows Defender can mistake a ‘good program’ as malware and suspend some of its operations, which in this case can result in Garry’s Mod Engine Error “Couldn’t Load Library ‘gmod audio’”. The fix is simple, set exclusion on Windows Firewall for the game.
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security, select Virus & Threat Protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Locate Exclusions by scrolling down, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder
- Browse and set exclusion for the Garry’s Mod folder.
If you use a third-party antivirus as your main protection, you can do the same on the respective software. Here are the steps for some popular antivirus software.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
That’s all we have in this guide, we hope Garry’s Mod engine error is fixed. If you have a more effective solution let us know in comments.