Elden Ring has an online mode that allows one player to join the other’s world and take on quests and boss fight. With the difficulty of Elden Ring this is a welcome feature for a large number of players. However, the feature is not working as it should as a large number of players are reporting the Elden Ring connection error. If you have run into the issue, there are a few things you can do in an attempt to resolve the error.
Elden Ring Connection Error Occurred. Returning to Your World Fix
There are a bunch of solutions you can try to fix the Elden Ring connection error, but you should know that a large number of players are reporting the error and the real cause may be the servers. Nevertheless, here are some solutions that may help.
Use Furlcalling Finger Remedy
Using the Furlcalling Finger Remedy twice allows you to reset the summoning system and the gold-colored summoning signs will be disabled. When that happens attempt to summon again and it should work.
Inconsistent Internet Connection/Lag/Switch Internet Connection
One of the main reason behind disconnect with the Elden Ring connection error could be your internet connection. Even if you have a very stable internet connection but there are moments of lag spike, it could be the reason you or your friend is getting booted from the game with the error. The fix or the next course of action is to troubleshoot your connection. Try playing the game using your mobile internet if it’s stable or if you have the option of another ISP. Some ISPs are also more prone to these errors than others. So, switching the ISP to identify the problem is what you should do first.
Check the Servers – A Glitch on the Server End
More than anything else, it’s possible that the real problem behind the Elden Ring “Connection Error Occurred. Returning to Your World” may be an issue with the server. The game is consistently getting over a million players with all platforms combined. It may be straining the servers and disconnect is a byproduct of that. In case the servers are the problem, your only hope is to keep retrying, play when there are a fewer players, and wait for a permanent solution from FromSoftware.
Change the DNS Servers
If there is an issue with the DNS server that can also be the reason behind constant disconnect with the game. Google DNS is what we personally prefer for online games. Here are the steps to change your DNS servers to Google.
- For PlayStation 4
- Open the PlayStation and head to the main Menu and go to Settings
- Select Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > Custom
- Select LAN for cable and Wi-Fi for Wireless depending on the type of connection you are using
- Next, select Custom and change the IP Address Settings to Automatic; Do not specify for DHCP host name; manual for DNS settings, and enter the primary and secondary DNS – 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 – ; Automatic for MTU settings; and Do not use for Proxy server.
- Save and Restart the PlayStation 4.
- For PS5
- From the Home Screen go to Settings > Network > Settings > Set Up Internet Connection > Set Up Manually > Wi-Fi or LAN > Under DNS Settings > Enter Primary DNS as 188.8.131.52 > Enter Secondary DNS as 184.108.40.206
- Fox Xbox One
- Open Guide by pressing the Xbox button > Settings > All Settings > Network > Advanced Settings > DNS Settings > Manual > Enter Primary DNS as 220.127.116.11 > Enter Secondary DNS as 18.104.22.168
- For Xbox Series X|S
- Go to Configuration > General > Network Configuration > Advanced Settings > DNS Settings > Manual > Enter Primary DNS as 22.214.171.124 > Enter Secondary DNS as 126.96.36.199
- For PC
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Windows Settings
- Select Network & Internet
- Click on Change adapter options
- Select the network and right-click > Properties
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
- Toggle Use the following DNS server addresses and fill the Google DNS 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- Click Ok.
Disable the Voice Chat
While this is a long shot, you can give it a try. Some players have reported that disabling the voice chat in-game helps resolve the Elden Ring connection error. Now, for the video chat option to be available in-game you need to be playing the online. When you are online, you will find the voice chat option in the Network tab of the Settings Menu. Disable the voice chat and see if that makes a difference.
You can try all of the fixes we have listed for the issue; however, it’s quite likely that the cause of the Elden Ring connection error is an issue with the servers. The problem should subside as more players continue to leave the game in the coming days and the strain on the servers decrease.