Dirt 5 the latest installment in the Dirt series developed and published by Codemasters is out for players to download and play. Dirt 5 is the fourteenth game in the series and the eighth title with the Dirt title. Over the years, the game amassed a large fan following. But, like with most Codemasters games, there are certain errors and bugs that you must get past to enjoy the game. One of the most troubling is the Dirt 5 crash at startup, not launching, or other launch bugs.
Fixing launch bugs is one of the most cumbersome as the problem can occur due to vast array of client’s system issues and sometimes due to the bad coding of the game. While a problem with the game gets resolved fairly quickly, the problem on the client end needs to be fixed by you. Fortunately, we have a wide array of solutions that addresses all possible cause of crash at startup with Dirt 5. Keep scrolling for more.
Fix Dirt 5 Crash At Startup, Stuttering, FPS Drop, and Crash To Desktop
Before we start the guide, ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements to play the game. In order to play Dirt 5, you need to be on a 64-Bit Windows 10 OS with AMD FX 4300 / Intel Core i3 2130 processor, 8 GB RAM, AMD RX 480 (DirectX12 Graphics Card) / NVIDIA GTX 970 graphics card, and DirectX version 12. If you meet the system requirements and the game still crashes or is not launching, we have certain solutions you can try.
Fix 1: Disable Steam Overlay
The first fix you must try is to disable the Steam Overlay. It has been noted that the Steam Overlay does not pair well with the game. You can disable the Steam overlay with global settings for all games or just for Dirt 5. Here are the steps to disable Overlay for the game.
- Launch Steam client
- Click on Library and right-click on Dirt 5
- Select Properties and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Close Steam and check if the Dirt 5 in-game crash or crash at startup, stuttering still occurs.
Fix 2: Disable MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner causes issues with the game and it has also for the last installment the Dirt 4. Therefore, you must close the MSI Afterburner from the Task Manager. Overclocking caused by the software makes the game instable leading to crash.
Fix 3: Update the Graphics Driver or Roll Back
If you have not updated the graphics driver for a while, visit the official website of the graphics card manufacture and download the latest update copy. Do not update using the GeForce Experience, uninstall the current driver, download a new copy, and perform clean install. Now, check if the error still occurs.
If you have already updated the driver and the Dirt 5 crash started after the update, you can roll-back the driver to the previous version. Here are the steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager
- Expand Display adapters, and right-click on the dedicated graphics card and select Properties
- Go to the Driver tab
- Click on Roll Back Driver
Fix 4: Try Playing Dirt 5 on DirectX 11
If the Dirt 5 Game Crashes at Startup, Crashes Mid-game, and DirectX 12 Crash is not fixed using the above fixes, you can try and run the game on DirectX 11. Here is how you can force the game to start with DirectX 11.
- Lunch Steam > Library > Dirt 5
- Right-click on Dirt 5 and select Properties
- Click on Set launch Options and type -force-d3d11
- Click Ok to save changes.
Fix 5: Disable Shader Cache
For Nvidia users, you can disable the Shader Cache which is known to crash Dirt 5. Here are the steps to disable Shader Cache from the Nvidia Control panel.
- Right-click on Desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Expand 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings
- Click Add and select Dirt 5
- Under Specify the settings for this program, locate Shader Cache and select Off.
Check if the Dirt 5 Game Crashes at Startup, Stuttering, Crashes Mid-game, and DirectX 12 Crash errors still occur. If they do, try the next fix.
Fix 6: Verify Integrity of Game Files
If the game itself is corrupted that could also lead to crash at startup or mid-game crash with Dirt 5. Here are the steps to check and repair corrupt files on Steam.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Dirt 5 and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
Fix 7: Remove Bad Sectors from the HHD
If you have bad sectors on your HDD, it could also be causing the crash. Although you could correct the corruption in the file system via CHKDSK on Command Prompt, here is a simple alternative.
- Right-click on C drive or the partition where you have installed the game and the launcher.
- Select Properties and go to Tools
- Click on Check and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Try playing the game.
- After the process completes, the window will auto-exit.
Now, try playing the game and check if Dirt 5 crashing error still occurs.
Fix 8: Set Launch Options on Steam
The Steam Game Launch options allow you to change the settings of a game before starting the game. The command will supersede all the default settings of the game. Here is what you need to do.
- Launch Steam client
- Go to Library, right-click Dirt 5 and select Properties
- Click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…
- Type -USEALLAVAILABLECORES –high and click Ok.
Fix 9: Change Nvidia Settings
In the next step to fix Dirt 5 Stuttering, FPS Drop, and Performance Issues, we will set the Nvidia for performance. Here are the steps.
- Right-click on Desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Expand 3D Settings and click on Adjust image settings with preview
- Check Use my preference emphasizing: Quality (for users who have a powerful PC, you can allow the app to decide and select Let the 3D application decide)
- Drag the bar to Performance (there are three options Performance – Balanced – Quality)
- Click on Apply to implement the changes
- Next, go to the Manage 3D settings under 3D Settings
- Click on Program Settings and select Dirt 5 (if the game is not in the drop-down list, click Add, browse and add the game)
- Under 2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program: choose High-performance NVIDIA processor
- Under 3. Specify the settings for this program, set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance and Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames to 1.
Once you have made the changes, check if the FPS drop and stuttering in Dirt 5 has improved or worsened. If it’s become worse, set the power management mode to optimal.
Fix 10: Change AMD Radeon Settings
Launch the AMD Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings. Make the following changes to the settings:
|Anti-aliasing mode||Override application settings|
|Anisotropic Filtering Mode||On|
|Anisotropic Filtering Level||2X|
|Texture Filtering Quality||Performance|
|Wait for Vertical Refresh||Always off|
|Tessellation Mode||Override application settings|
|Maximum Tessellation Level||32x|
Fix 11: Change Dirt 5 Program Settings on Windows
In this step, we will Disable the fullscreen optimization and change the high DPI settings. This can potentially fix the Dirt 5 FPS drop, stuttering, and screen tearing.
- Right-click on the desktop shortcut of Dirt 5 or locate the right-click on Dirt5.exe
- Select Properties > Compatibility tab > check Disable fullscreen optimization. While you are at it also check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Change high DPI settings
- Check Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by and select Application from the drop-down menu
- Save the changes by clicking OK.
Fix 12: Alter the Power Options in Window 10 to Fix Dirt 5 Stuttering, FPS Drop
For users who do not have an effective CPU cooler, you may want to skip this step as it would increase the CPU temperature by a few degrees. Without proper cooling, it may harm your system. Here are the steps to follow.
- Click on the battery icon in the System Tray and drag the button to Best Performance
- Right-click on the battery icon and select Power Options
- Click on the Change plan settings link
- Click on Change advanced power settings
- Locate Processor power management and click on the plus sign to expand
- Expand Minimum processor state and set it to 100%, next expand Maximum processor state and set it to 100%
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Fix 13: Configure Game Settings from the Registry
This fix will not just resolve your FPS drop, lag, and stuttering with Dirt 5, but with all other games and applications. However, before you proceed do take a backup of the registry. Here are the steps:
- Type Regedit in the Windows Search tab and select Run as administrator
- Click on Files > Export. Name the backup and save it at your desired location
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > System > GameConfigStore
- From the right panel, double-click on GameDVR_Enabled
- Set the Value data to 0, Base as Hexadecimal and click OK
- Next, double-click on GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode
- Set the Value data as 2 and Base as Hexadecimal and click OK
- Go back and expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > PolicyManager > default > ApplicationManagement > AllowGameDVR
- From the right panel, double-click on value
- Delete 1 and set it to 0, click Ok and restart your computer.
Fix 14: Toggle Off the Game Mode on Window 10
Often times, the game mode that helps you capture and record game images and videos causes problems like FPS drop, and stuttering with Dirt 5. Turn it off, it does not have much use unless you are recording a video. To turn it off, press Windows Key + I > Gaming > toggle Off the switch below record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar.
Fix 15: Set Windows for Best Performance
In the Windows search tab, type performance and select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. Check Adjust for best performance. Click Apply and OK.
Fix 15: Delete Temporary Files from Windows
Again, this is another general step to speed up the system and ultimately fix the Dirt 5 FPS drop, stuttering, and other performance problems. Here are the steps you can follow to clear the temporary files for PC.
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing on Windows Key + R
- Type %temp% in the field and hit Enter
- Press Ctrl + A and hit Delete (if you cannot delete some files, let them be and close the Window)
- Again, press Windows Key + R and type temp, hit Enter
- When prompted provide the permission. Delete everything in this folder as well.
- Again, press Windows Key + R and type prefetch, hit Enter
- Press Ctrl + A to select everything and hit the Delete key (skip files that do not delete)
After you are done with the above three processes, empty the Recycle Bin.
Fix 16: Install the Game on SSD
SSDs are faster than HDDs. So, if you have SSD on your system, you should install the game there.
Fix 17: Terminate Unnecessary Tasks
Finally, before you launch the game, ensure all other unnecessary programs are closed. Have only the game and the essential programs running. You can terminate a task from the Task Manager. To complete the process, click on Windows Key + X and select Task Manager. Select one program at a time and click on End task.
Fix 18: Set F1 2020 to High Priority
These settings are not permanent and you have to change the priority every time you launch the game. So, let’s go ahead the set Dirt 5 to high priority.
- Launch Dirt 5 and minimize it by pressing Window key + D
- Open Task Manager > Details tab > locate Dirt5.exe
- Right-click on Dirt5.exe
- Go to Set Priority and select High.
That’s all we have in this guide. We hope the Dirt 5 crash at startup, stuttering, FPS drop, and performance issues are fixed.