Dead by Daylight error code 14 or the launch error 14 prevents players from opening the game. The game uses the EasyAntiCheat like so many other games to counter cheating in the game. It’s the anti-cheat software to blame in this case. Some functions of the software do not function as desired and it results in the error.
User receive the error message Launch Error 14 ‘Couldn’t start the game’, an apology for the game not starting and an option to head online for troubleshooting. But, going online rarely heals the situations. We have some guaranteed fix for the Dead by Daylight EasyAntiCheat Error Code 14.
As this error is fairly old, a lot of users were able to resolve the problem by applying the below solutions. Hence, if you have encountered the error, try them.
Fix Dead by Daylight Error Code 14 | EasyAntiCheat Launch Error 14 ‘Couldn’t Start the Game’
Fix 1: Disable the Windows Defender or Antivirus
Disabling the antivirus or the Windows Defender for too long in not recommended, it could put your system at risk. However, you can do it just this time for a few minutes. Turn off the security software and launch the game. If the game works, you know your culprit and need to provide an exception for the Game.
The process to provide the exception is easy follow the below steps.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security, select Virus & Threat Protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Locate Exclusions by scrolling down, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder
- Browse the Day by Daylight folderand set the exclusion.
Kaspersky Internet Security
- Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
- Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions >> Set the exception.
- Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions >> Set the exclusion.
Fix 2: Clear Steam Cache
If the Dead by Daylight Error Code 14 still persists, you should try and clear the Steam cache files. These are temporary file of games stored on your computer for faster processing and better performance. When these files get corrupted, it can cause errors. Once you delete them, Steam will download a fresh copy of the files. Here is the process to clear Steam cache.
- Launch Steam client and click on Steam on the top-life corner
- Click on Settings and go to Downloads
- Click on Clear Download Cache
Steam will restart and you will have to log-in. Try launching the game and check if the error 14 still appears.
Fix 3: Repair EasyAntiCheat
Error with the EasyAntiCheat files may also result in this error. If there is a missing or corrupted file, it can lead to the error code 14. But, you can easily repair the EasyAntiCheat from the game folder on your PC. Head to the directory where the game is installed, inside the game folder, you will see EasyAntiCheat. Double-click on the .exe of the EasyAntiCheat and you will have the option to repair. Run the process and launch the game.
Fix 4: Reinstall Everything from Scratch
If the Dead by Daylight error code 14 still occurs, uninstalling and reinstalling the game might fix the issue. Uninstall the game normally, but before you install again disable the Windows Firewall, or any other antivirus. Proceed with the install and launch the game. Enable the Windows Firewall and set an exception for Dead by Daylight on the software.
The Dead by Daylight Error Code 14 or EasyAntiCheat Launch Error 14 ‘Couldn’t Start the Game’ should be fixed by the above steps. If you have more effective fix for the problem you can share through the comments.