The second title in the multiplayer hack and slash video game Chivalry 2 is on the verge of release. The game is available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. During the beta of the game, a lot of players complained about issues that prevented the game from launching or crashed immediately after launch. If you are faced with a similar situation such as Chivalry 2 crashing at startup, won’t start, or not launching, there are certain easy ways to fix the problem.
Fix Chivalry 2 Crashing at Startup, Won’t Start, or Not Launching
While the solutions discussed in the post will help users, they are not universal due to the nature of the problem. Chivalry 2 fails to start due to a number of reasons and sometimes those causes are specific to the system. Here is what we learned from the beta about the issue.
Before we start with the solutions, it goes without saying, your system should be fully update to date that includes the OS and the GPU driver. Outdated drivers are one of the most common reasons behind games crashing, especially at startup.
- Corrupt game files
- One of the most common reasons Chivalry 2 crashes at startup is when the game files are corrupted. This can happen due to a number of reasons when you are downloading and installing the game. The Epic Games Store provides you a simple way to correct the problem. Go to Library > click on the three dots next to the game title and select Verify. Allow the process to complete.
- Change High DPI Settings for the game
- To perform the fix, you first have to locate the executable of the game. Here is the path you need to follow (This PC > Local Disk (C) > Epic games > Chivalry2 > TEL > Binaries > Win64). Now, right-click on Chivalry2-Win64-Shipping. Go to the Compatibility tab, check Disable Fullscreen optimizations, and click on Change high DPI settings. Check Override high DPI scaling behavior and set it to Application. Save the changes by clicking OK. Now, launch the game.
- Run the game on 32-bit Mode
- This is a solution suggested on VGNerdsAtWork and it seems to work for some users so you can give it a try. The steps are listed on the website.
- Perform a clean boot
- Launching the game in a clean boot environment has several benefits as it can address several possible causes at once such as third-party software interfering with the game process, programs consuming too many resources, overclocking software causing the crash, etc. For steps on how to perform a clean boot, refer to the linked post.
- Temporarily disable the firewall or the antivirus
- As this is a multiplayer title, the game would require you to communicate with the server at all times and if the firewall on your system blocks the game, the crash would happen. Disable the firewall or even better, whitelist the game in your respective antivirus or firewall software. The Windows Firewall has a bad reputation for blocking games, so check that first.
- Delete the config file and verify the game files
- To perform the above solution, go to the install directory of the game and look for the config file, delete it and perform step 1.
These are all the solutions we have at the moment to fix Chivalry 2 crashing at startup, won’t start, or not launching. We will update the post when we know of any other solutions upon the release of the game.