The DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED is a dreaded error message that haunts a bunch of games including Apex Legends. Incidentally, it’s usually EA games that mostly have this problem, but that’s not to suggest the error does not occur on other games. Apex Legends players must be quite familiar with this error. Battlefield 2042 has a lot of errors and bugs at the current state, but this error is the most difficult to resolve mainly because there are no universal solutions for it. When you see the Battlefield 2042 DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, it’s usually a problem with the graphics card and the error message makes it clear.
The graphics card has crashed due to a number of reasons we will address in this post that are causing the error. Keep reading as we discover solutions to fix the nasty error in the game.
Battlefield 2042 DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED Fix
Before you proceed with the guide, it’s important to note that DirectX 12 is required to run the game. Without DirectX 12, you won’t be able to launch Battlefield 2042 and run into the DirectX error. This may come as bad news for Nvidia 600/700 series, AMD HD 7000, and other series that don’t support DirectX 12.
So, ensure that your PC meets the minimum system requirements to play the game, if not, that may be the cause of the Battlefield 2042 DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED.
Here are the solutions we think will help the most users get past the error and continue with the game. If you left something out, please comment and share in the comments section.
- Reboot your PC
- A simple reboot of the PC allows the OS to reinitialize drivers and other software and the error may be fixed if it was caused due to incorrect initialization. So, go ahead and reboot the PC before trying anything else.
- Ensure your GPU Supports DirectX Feature Level 12
- If your GPU does not support the DirectX feature level 12, you may not be able to run the game. The reason why users on 780 and Titan Black are unable to play the game. If you can afford it, get a new graphics card.
- Update the Graphics Card Driver Software
- The most likely cause of this error is if the current graphics card driver on your system is outdated or corrupt. Download the latest GPU driver and perform a clean install.
- Disable Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
- The cause of the error is the crashing of the GPU, which can occur when you attempt to boost the performance via any means as the GPU becomes unstable. The Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is a common culprit behind the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error. Search for “Graphics Settings” in the Windows Search and go there > click on “Change Default graphics settings” > Toggle Off Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.
- Update Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022
- You can follow the link to the MS website to get the latest version of Visual Studio. A corruption or missing visual studio library can also cause this error. Download and install both the x86 and x64 versions.
- Reinstall Battlefield 2042
- A few users have reported that reinstalling the game fixed the Battlefield 2042 DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. While it’s a long shot, you may try it if you have a very fast internet and the download does not take a lot of time. After all the game is mere 19 GBs (approx.).
The drastic solution would be to remove Windows 10 from the hard drive and reinstall it without connecting the internet to the PC. Do not connect to the internet the whole time. We are trying to avoid auto-updates. Now, get the latest GPU driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it. Now, you can connect to the internet and update the OS. Hopefully, this convoluted and tedious fix allows you to play Battlefield 2042, but there’s no guarantee so we rest the decision to you.
That’s all we have in this guide. We hope the Battlefield 2042 DirectX Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED was fixed after following the above solutions. If something worked for you, please share in the comments.