Baldur’s Gate 3, developed by Larian Studios, offers players an epic RPG experience set in the mystical world of Faerun. However, some players have encountered a frustrating issue where the game launches to a black screen, accompanied by an unexpected PC reboot.
This problem can disrupt the gaming experience and leave players seeking solutions to get back into the action. In this article, we will explore the possible causes of the black screen and PC reboot issue in Baldur’s Gate 3 and provide comprehensive troubleshooting steps to help players resolve it and continue their adventures.
How to Fix Baldur’s Gate 3 Black Screen and PC Reboot Issue
The black screen and PC reboot issue in Baldur’s Gate 3 can be a disconcerting and perplexing problem for players. Upon launching the game, instead of seeing the familiar splash art screen or the game interface, players are greeted with a blank, black screen. Additionally, some users have reported that their PCs spontaneously reboot without warning when attempting to play the game. This issue can stem from various factors, including compatibility issues, graphics drivers, or system instability.
Run BG3 Executable File as Administrator
To start our troubleshooting journey, we need to locate the Baldur’s Gate 3 executable file. Don’t worry; it’s not as complicated as it sounds. Follow these simple steps:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the program files (x86) folder.
- Look for the “Steam” folder and open it.
- Inside “Steam,” find “steamapps” and open it.
- Now, locate “common” and go inside it.
- Find the “baldursgate3” folder and go to “bin.”
- Once there, clicking on bg3.exe, then held SHIFT and right-clicked on it again to bring up the menu to choose “Run as Administrator
Disable Background Processes
Press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” to open the Task Manager. Close unnecessary background processes and applications that might interfere with the game’s launch. Temporarily disable third-party software, such as antivirus or firewall, to check if they are causing conflicts.
Verify Game Files (Steam/GOG)
- If you have the game on Steam, right-click on the game in your library.
- Select “Properties,” go to the “Local Files” tab, and click “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
- For GOG users, use the equivalent option in the GOG Galaxy client to verify the game files
If the issue persists, consider reinstalling the game to ensure a clean installation.