The latest title in the horror Series – Amnesia is out on Steam for players to enjoy. Frictional Games has developed an incredible horror experience with what appears to be a solid background story. However, early players who jumped to play the game are reporting launch issues such as the Amnesia Rebirth crash at startup or not launching. If you have faced a similar issue, this guide should be able to resolve most basic causes of crash. But, since this is a day-one post, it does not address specific glitches with the game that may be causing crash. For that, you can scroll down the post as new posts will be listed down as and when we post them.
Fix Amnesia Rebirth Crash at Startup, Not Launching, and Performance Issues
We know that OpenGL 4.0 is required for the game to work and it’s recommended that you have OpenGL 4.3. Currently, NVIDIA offers OpenGL 4.6 support for a long list of graphics cards, so ensure you have updated the driver to that.
- Update Graphics Card
You can browse and download the latest OpenGL Driver support for Nvidia graphics card by following the link. If your graphics card supports OpenGL, download the latest driver for Windows 10 by following the link. If you have not updated the graphics card driver in a while, it may not have the latest OpenGL, which may be causing the Amnesia Rebirth crash at startup, not launching, and the game stuttering.
You must also ensure that the Windows is updated to play the game. Ensure you have the latest available version for the Windows.
- Update OS
Most new games are released to work on the latest version of the OS. If your OS is outdated that can be a reason for the crash.
- Run as administrator
Without the admin permission, the Amnesia Rebirth executable may not have write permission at the install directory, which can cause the game not to launch or crash at startup. To provide admin access, go to the install directory and right-click on the game executable > Properties > Compatibility tab > check Run this program as an administrator.
- Ensure correct display settings
Make sure that the DPI is set to the default 100%, the display you are using supports the resolution you set in the game and set the color depth to 32-bit.
- Play the game on default settings
Sometimes changing the settings of the game can impact its performance and can cause launch problems and crash at startup. In order to reset the settings of the game, delete the [username]_user_settings.cfg file from the game’s save directory. Once you delete the file, start the game and make settings change one at a time. Monitor the performance then make the next change. For Windows users, you can find the file at Documents\My Games\Amnesia Rebirth.
Another cause of the games crashing is the antivirus blocking the program. As such, you must whitelist the game in the respective antivirus software.
- Whitelist the game on antivirus software
In case, you are using the Windows Defender and no third-party antivirus software, you must whitelist the game in the Windows Defender as well.
- Verify Integrity of Game Files
If the game files are corrupted that can also lead to crash at startup. You can verify game files on Steam. Here are the steps.
- Launch the Steam client
- From the LIBRARY, right-click on Amnesia Rebirth and select Properties
- Go to LOCAL FILES and click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
- Set launch option on Steam for Windowed Mode
Running the game on fullscreen consumes more resources which can be a problem for players with low system specs. Even through the game has pretty low requirements, try setting the game to Windowed Mode. Here are the steps.
- Launch the Steam client
- Go to Libraries and locate Baldur’s Gate 3. Right-click on the game and select Properties
- Click on the General tab and click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
- In the field type or paste -windowed –noborder
- Press Ok and exit
- Restart the system and check if the Amnesia Rebirth crash at startup still occurs.
- Terminate unnecessary applications and perform clean boot
With so many games, third-party software that forcefully inject themselves between operations cause crash in the game. Hence, the first thing we must do to resolve the Amnesia Rebirth crashing on startup or failed to launch error is suspend all unnecessary programs and then launch the game. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Press Windows Key + R and type msconfig, hit Enter
- Go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services
- Now, click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable one task at a time and restart the system.
Try launching the game, check if the error still occurs.
- Disable Steam Overlay
If the game crashes right after the intro video, the cause of the problem can be the Steam Overlay. This feature has been known to act up with some games. You can resolve the error by disabling the Steam Overlay. Launch Steam client. Click on Library and right-click on Amnesia Rebirth. Select Properties and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Close Steam and check if the in-game crash or Amnesia Rebirth crash at startup still occurs.
- Disable or remove GeForce Experience / MSI Afterburner
Sometimes third-party software can tune the GPU settings that does not pair with the game leading to the error. By simply disabling the software, you can resolve the errors. You can uninstall the programs to disable them or simply disable them from the Task Manager. Disable the programs via any method that suits you. Once done, try playing the game and check if the error still appears.
- Modify Discord settings
The in-game overlay and the hardware acceleration of Discord is also known to cause crash in games. So, if you have the software installed and running disable the overlay and hardware acceleration. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Launch the Discord app and click on User Settings
- Click on Voice & Video in the left menu
- Locate Advanced by scrolling down and click
- Next, disable OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc. and Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
- Go to Overlay and disable it
- Go to Advanced anddisable Hardware Acceleration.
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, 2010, and 2015
Although the Visual Studio runtime should be installed with the game, there can sometimes be problems that can cause crash with Amnesia Rebirth. Follow the below steps in order to reinstall them afresh.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl, hit Enter
- Locate Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, 2010, and 2015 Redistributable. Right-click on each program and select Uninstall
- Reboot the system and proceed to install all three Visual studio runtime
- Download and install the x64 versions of 2008, 2010, and 2015 by following the links (also ensure your OS is 64-bit).
- Restart the system.
We hope that the above solutions have resolved the Amnesia Rebirth crash at startup, not launching, and other issues at launch.