Age of Wonders 4 is an immersive strategy game that takes players on a journey through a fantastical world filled with adventure and strategic battles. However, like any other game, Age of Wonders 4 may encounter technical issues that can hinder your gaming experience. One of the most common problems reported by players is the black screen issue. If you’re facing a black screen problem while playing Age of Wonders 4, don’t worry. In this article, we will explore several potential solutions to help you overcome this issue and get back to enjoying the game.
Read: Fix Age of Wonders 4 Can’t Login
How to Fix Age of Wonders 4 Black Screen Issue
If you’re getting the black screen issue in your game then you must follow the below given solutions. Here are some ways to fix the issue.
Update your graphics driver
Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can often cause black screen issues in games. It’s crucial to ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. To update your graphics driver, follow these steps:
- For NVIDIA graphics cards: Visit the NVIDIA website (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/) and download the latest driver for your specific graphics card model. Install the driver and restart your computer.
- For AMD graphics cards: Go to the AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support) and use the “Auto-Detect and Install” tool to automatically detect and install the latest driver for your graphics card.
Verify Game Files
Corrupted or missing game files can lead to black screen problems. The game launcher or platform (such as Steam) may have a feature to verify the integrity of game files. Use this feature to check if any game files are corrupted or missing. If any issues are detected, the launcher will automatically replace or repair the problematic files.
Run the Game in Windowed Mode
Running Age of Wonders 4 in windowed mode instead of full-screen mode can sometimes resolve black screen issues. To enable windowed mode, follow these steps:
- Launch Age of Wonders 4.
- Look for the game’s settings or options menu.
- Locate the display or graphics settings.
- Find the option for display mode or full-screen mode.
- Select the windowed mode or borderless windowed mode option.
- Save the changes and restart the game.
Running the game in windowed mode can bypass certain display-related issues and allow the game to run properly.
Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
Windows 10 introduced a feature called “fullscreen optimizations” that aims to improve performance in games. However, this feature can sometimes cause compatibility issues, resulting in black screens or other display problems. Disabling fullscreen optimizations for Age of Wonders 4 can potentially resolve the issue. Here’s how to disable it:
- Locate the Age of Wonders 4 executable file. This is usually found in the game’s installation folder.
- Right-click on the executable file and select “Properties.”
- In the Properties window, navigate to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box that says “Disable fullscreen optimizations.”
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes.
- Launch Age of Wonders 4 and check if the black screen problem is resolved.
Adjust Compatibility Settings
Changing the compatibility settings of Age of Wonders 4 can sometimes help resolve black screen issues. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Age of Wonders 4 executable file.
- Select “Properties” from the context menu.
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box that says “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”
- Select a previous version of Windows from the drop-down menu. Start with Windows 7 or Windows 8.
- Check the box that says “Run this program as an administrator.”
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
Delete web browser cache
Sometimes, the web browser cache can interfere with the game’s performance, leading to a black screen issue. Clearing your web browser cache can help resolve this problem. Here’s how to do it:
- For Google Chrome: Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete, select “Cached images and files,” and click on the “Clear data” button.
- For Mozilla Firefox: Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete, select “Cache,” and click on the “Clear Now” button.
- For Microsoft Edge: Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete, select “Cached data and files,” and click on the “Clear” button.
If none of the previous solutions have resolved the black screen issue, you may consider reinstalling the Steam client. Sometimes, a corrupt installation or conflicting files can cause problems with launching games. Follow these steps to reinstall Steam:
- Before uninstalling Steam, make sure to back up your game files. You can do this by navigating to the Steam installation directory (usually located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam) and copying the “steamapps” folder to a safe location.
- Uninstall Steam by going to the Control Panel, selecting “Uninstall a program,” and finding Steam in the list. Right-click on Steam and choose “Uninstall.”
- Once Steam is uninstalled, download the latest version of Steam from the official website (https://store.steampowered.com/about/).
- Install Steam by running the downloaded installer and following the on-screen instructions.
- After Steam is reinstalled, move the “steamapps” folder back into the Steam installation directory to restore your game files.
- Launch Steam and try running Age of Wonders 4 to see if the black screen issue has been resolved.
Read next: Fix Apex Legends Error Processing Game Logic