Two of the most common issue with games that have existed for a long time on PC are crashing and stuttering. While games crashing happens due to a range of problems, the stuttering with the game can be due to poor optimization of the game or the system of the user failing to render the graphics requirements. Back 4 Blood is the spiritual successor to the horror title Left 4 Dead 2. The game is currently available in early access with open beta starting from the 12th. The game will release on 22nd Oct.
Back 4 Blood is a pretty well-optimized game even for mid-range PCs. We played the game on an i7 Processor, 8GB RAM, and GTX 1650 and had no problems whatsoever. Another system that we tried the game on was i7 Processor, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1050, again no issues at all. However, some users are reporting the Back 4 Blood stuttering, low FPS, and lag. If you have encountered these problems, here is what you need to do.
How to Fix Back 4 Blood Stuttering, Low FPS, and Lag
There are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with stuttering. A drop in FPS will most definitely result in the game stuttering. As Back 4 Blood is an always-online game, a drop in the internet bandwidth will contribute to the lag, FPS drop, and stuttering. So, if you have encountered these problems with the game, the first and the obvious problem would be your internet connection. Here are the things you can do.
- Ensure that you have a stable internet connection, preferably a wired internet connection.
- Play the game on Fullscreen Mode rather than other modes. Windowed mode is known to cause stutter in games.
- Play the game on default settings. If the game still stutters, reduce all the settings. Refer to our post on the best settings for Back 4 Blood.
- If you are playing the game using the Steam client, disable the Steam Overlay as it’s known to cause stutter in games.
- Run the game in a clean boot environment, so there’s no background applications causing the stutter and lag. Refer to this post for steps on clean boot.
- If Back 4 Blood freezes and there is drop in FPS when you click on the mouse, set the mouse polling rate to 125 or something around that.
- If Back 4 Blood is stuttering a lot, limit the FPS. Go to the Graphics Settings of the game and limit the FPS to match your display Hz or 1 above.
If trying the above steps has not fixed your problem, the problem may be with your connection. Perform a lag check to see if your ping is too high.
Check Ping on your Connection
- Press Windows Key + R > type ping google.com –t > hit Enter
- The Ping you should aim for is below 50, but anything below 100 is also good. If higher than 150, your ping is too high.
This is just the beta and some performance issues are bound to happen that is what the developers want to test with the beta. Hopefully, these performance problems will get patched when the game releases on 22nd Oct.