Baldur’s Gate 3, developed by Larian Studios, immerses players in a captivating world of adventure and exploration. The game’s map and mini map are essential tools for navigation, quest tracking, and getting a sense of the game’s vast landscape.
However, some players have encountered a frustrating issue where both the map and mini map appear black or blank, displaying no details except for waypoints. This article aims to delve into the possible causes behind this problem and provide comprehensive troubleshooting steps to help players resolve the map-related issues in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Fix Baldur’s Gate 3 Black/Blank Map and Mini Map Issue
The black or blank map and mini map issue in Baldur’s Gate 3 is an alarming problem for players who heavily rely on these tools for navigation and quest tracking. Instead of displaying the game world’s details, players are left with a dark, empty screen with only waypoints visible. Additionally, some players have reported a peculiar behavior where rotating the camera causes the map to pan far away from the character.
Remove Mods and Verify Game Files
Ensure that all mods are removed from the game directory. Verify the integrity of the game files through the game launcher (Steam or GOG) to ensure a clean and complete installation.
Use DXVK on Windows
DXVK is primarily employed to enable Windows games to run on Linux systems. However, it has been found that using DXVK can also help resolve the map and mini map issues in Baldur’s Gate 3. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to implement this solution:
- Download DXVK
- Visit the official DXVK GitHub repository at https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases.
- Choose the appropriate version for your graphics card. In the case of an NVidia GTX 600/700 series card, you may want to select version 1.10.3 (or the latest compatible version).
- Download the tar.gz file for the chosen version (e.g., dxvk-1.10.3.tar.gz).
- Unpack DXVK
- Extract the contents of the downloaded tar.gz file to a location on your hard drive.
- Locate Required Files
- Navigate to the x64 folder within the unpacked DXVK archive.
- Inside this folder, you should find two files: dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll.
- Copy DLL Files to BG3 Bin Folder
- Locate the bin folder of your Baldur’s Gate 3 installation directory. This is where the game’s executable files are stored.
- Copy the dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll files from the x64 folder of the DXVK archive.
- Paste these two files into the bin folder of Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Launch the Game
- Start Baldur’s Gate 3, and select the DX11 option.
- Upon launching the game, you may receive a warning about the consequences of your actions. Proceed with caution.
The game’s map may take some time to load initially. Be patient as the map content initializes.
Check for Developer Updates
Keep an eye on official developer updates and patch notes for the game. Map-related issues may be addressed in future updates.
If the problem persists after trying all the above steps, consider reporting the issue to the game’s developers.